96 Front brake upgrade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Front brake upgrade.

I am working on a 96. I picked up a set of calipurs and brakets off a 2000 today. I also grabed the old rotors and pads. My plan is to powder coat and calipur and get new wear parts. I was told this was just a bolt on. When I test fitted the used rotors they look to big to fit. There is part of the spindle assembly that wraps around the existing rotor that will not allow me to install the larger rotor. Do I need the whole spindle from the 2000? Has anyone done this upgrade?

This picture show the original rotor still installed and the 12" rotor put on the lugs backwards.
    Last edited by Gorn_96; 07-03-2009, 07:50 PM.

Re: 96 Front brake upgrade.

Yes you need the spindle , calipers, pads, brake hoses , there should be some write ups on this , search 98+ brake upgrade.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Or you can cut off those pad retainer things on the old spindles. I just got the new spindles when I installed mine.
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

ya u need the whole spindle. Should take u no more than 2 hrs to do the whole swap

87 Firebird RIP
        96 Camaro RS RIP
        94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
        02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

I am in the process of rebuilding the calipers. Two of the four sliders are frozen. They would not budge. Even with heat. The heads have broken off now. Anyone know where I can get front brake brackes?

Comment

You can cut the ears off your spindles with a recip saw.

Here is an install guide using LSI spindles

http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=30

Comment

I got the spindles but my issue now is the brakets. The slide has broken off. I am going to try and machine it out but I am not hopful. I am soakinf them overnight tonight. Maybe for the week. This is what I am up against. The shinny round thing in the middle of all that rust is the broken off slider

Last edited by Gorn_96; 08-23-2009, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X