Steering Rag Joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Rag Joint

Do anyone knows the specs on the rag joint as it is called,I want to upgrade to a coupling/universal joint.
    The specs I'm asking is number of splines and shaft diameter.
    The Rag Joint is the rubber plate that is clamped to link the upper steering shaft to the lower shaft to the steering rack.

Re: Steering Rag Joint

Originally posted by Barbadian Camaro View Post
    Do anyone knows the specs on the rag joint as it is called,I want to upgrade to a coupling/universal joint.
    The specs I'm asking is number of splines and shaft diameter.
    The Rag Joint is the rubber plate that is clamped to link the upper steering shaft to the lower shaft to the steering rack.
    What year is your car? The "rag joint" is only on the 93-97. It is part of the steering coupler which attaches the steering rack to the steering shaft. The steering coupler is a universal joint.

93-97
    http://www.tacreationsusa.com/images.../9397shaft.jpg

98+
    http://www.tacreationsusa.com/images.../9802shaft.jpg
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

My 98 V6 car had a rag joint until I up graded to the V8 quick ratio rack.
      sigpic

Comment

My 99 non-y87 also came with the rag joint style coupler.
        '99 Camaro
        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

My car is 93 so I will have to get one from a 98and up V8 model but as you know I don't live in the US so I would have to check who sells it online and shipped to Barbados.
          Thanks for the info so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbadian Camaro View Post
            My car is 93 so I will have to get one from a 98and up V8 model but as you know I don't live in the US so I would have to check who sells it online and shipped to Barbados.
            Thanks for the info so far.
            You can not use the newer style steering coupler without changing to the new rack also.

Just replace the "rag joint". http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=13420
            Last edited by FirebirdGT; 01-04-2009, 11:23 AM.
            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I've done some searching and for those who don't want to use the original rag joint from your GM Dealer go to:
              http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/Rag_Joint/
              They have an Aluminium plate which replace your old rubber and the plate bolted in position,I'm planning on getting one or getting it made I'm not in the US and some people don't ship Internationally.

Comment

FirebirdGT , also has it listed on his website.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                  Hello everyone!
                  by Andy H
                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                  3 weeks ago
                • 3.4 slow to go
                  hey there strangers!
                  by 3.4 slow to go
                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X