Failed inspection E-Brake help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed inspection E-Brake help

Ive searched and didn't find anything. Does any 1 know how to tighten the cables underneath the center console . Apparently the cable is loose and my E brake doesn't work " well enough to pass inspection"

Re: Failed inspection E-Brake help

your cable might be stretched, and you will have to get a new one, they are self adjusting.. but i wouldnt assume it is the cable right away.

i just replaced my rear rotors, and ever since i did my e-brake has been pretty useless.. not really sure what is wrong with it.. but you might want to try and look into that also

Comment

Is it hard to replace the cable ? Is there a write up ?

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
        your cable might be stretched, and you will have to get a new one, they are self adjusting.. but i wouldnt assume it is the cable right away.

i just replaced my rear rotors, and ever since i did my e-brake has been pretty useless.. not really sure what is wrong with it.. but you might want to try and look into that also

if i'm not mistaken there are also adjusment "wheels" on the ebrakes themselves. You could also try that.
        Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
        Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
        Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
        Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
        Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

They are self adjusting. The adjusting arm that is on the E-brake its self, where the cable connects, tend to break. get someone to sit inside and pull the bracke. Look at the arm to see if it moves. It should slide forward and back easily. if thats the problem you may need to buy new ebrakes. The axles have to come out to install them.

Comment

i have already adjusted the dial behind my rotors. I did what you said and there is like 3 inches of slack but it does move easily back and forth

Comment

Originally posted by chevy3504me View Post
              The axles have to come out to install them.
              not on the cars with rear disc brakes

Comment

so i have rear disk brakes . I guess i'll get under there and post my findings . Any more advice yall ?

Comment

not on the cars with rear disc brakes

The E-brake is one piece. The axle hub is larger than the hole in the ebrake. You cant Slide it onto the rear with the large axle hub in its way. You cant fit the red ring over the grey one. lol. This is an example of replacing the entire Ebrake. Sorry I dont have cad on this computer.

Originally posted by Jaysan View Post
                  i have already adjusted the dial behind my rotors. I did what you said and there is like 3 inches of slack but it does move easily back and forth
                  Can you get a pic? Have you tried pulling a and releasing the ebrake about 40 times? Sounds funny but it may adjust.
                  Last edited by chevy3504me; 12-07-2008, 05:12 AM.

Comment

my emergency brakes are good. i think its the cable that is bad . It does't feel like its catching. I pull my e-brake and that circular objects moves forward and back . When i engage and disengage my brake. I watched it tighten my rear rotors but the car still moves . I'm out of ideas

Last edited by Jaysan; 12-07-2008, 10:54 AM.

Comment

The E-brake is one piece. The axle hub is larger than the hole in the ebrake. You cant Slide it onto the rear with the large axle hub in its way. You cant fit the red ring over the grey one. lol. This is an example of replacing the entire Ebrake. Sorry I dont have cad on this computer.

[IMG]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/ahhwataday/axle2.jpg[IMG]

lol ok

i have had my e-brakes apart before and i didnt have to remove an axle or anything.. but if you say so

Comment

does any 1 know how to tighten that cable shown in the picture ?

Comment

lol ok

i have had my e-brakes apart before and i didnt have to remove an axle or anything.. but if you say so
                          Did you replace the pads or the entire assembly?

Originally posted by Jaysan View Post
                          does any 1 know how to tighten that cable shown in the picture ?

Go to autozone and look on page 9-13 and page 9-21 of the haynes camaro manual. They will show you an adjustment screw on the actual brake. If your car is 01 or 02 keep pulling it. It should self adjust. Its its older look at the book.
                          Last edited by chevy3504me; 12-07-2008, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Did you replace the pads or the entire assembly?
                            i didnt really replace anything, but i had the pads off.. i think i will need to replace them though, because my e-brake isnt holdng very good.. before i put new rotors on, i could just pull it 3/4 of the way up and it would hold like a 5 ton rock, now i have to pull it as hard as i can in order to get my car not to move

Comment

So When i put my car in reverse and engage the e-brake the car doesn't move,however when it is in Drive with the e-brake engaged the car moves forward. Any thoughts yall?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X