Brake Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Light

After a bunch of searches on possibilities i'm stumped.

My light comes on when the car first starts up, when i drop the ebrake it goes out. Then after some times goes by the light comes on.

Since the light goes on and off initially it seems like the switch on the ebrake is ok. And there is plenty of fluid in the resevior.

any ideas?
    1968 350 PG SC<br />1998 3800II M5

Re: Brake Light

what year is your car?

usually when the switch in the e brake goes bad, the light never comes on

Comment

Originally posted by vintageagain View Post
      After a bunch of searches on possibilities i'm stumped.

My light comes on when the car first starts up, when i drop the ebrake it goes out. Then after some times goes by the light comes on.

Since the light goes on and off initially it seems like the switch on the ebrake is ok. And there is plenty of fluid in the resevior.

any ideas?
      my brake light stays on ALL THE TIME.

the e-brake is all the way down, even when I lift it up and put it back down it still stays on. The e-brake works fine thou.
      1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
      1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
      1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
      2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by truekoa View Post
        my brake light stays on ALL THE TIME.

the e-brake is all the way down, even when I lift it up and put it back down it still stays on. The e-brake works fine thou.
        That is a switch adjustment problem.

To the OP, I do believe the BRAKE light has multiple uses, mainly for the e-brake, but also to alert you that there may be a problem with the braking system.
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

It is normal for the brake light on the dash to come on when the E-brake is applied and goes off when you release the E-brake,but if it flickers like comes on and go off when driving then depend on the vehicle your brake fluid in the reservoir is low,if it is top up then it will be a faulty switch on the E-brake or the one in the brake fluid reservoir,check them with an ohmmeter for continuity with the switch open and closed for two to three times also if it can be dismantle clean the contacts.

Comment

My car is a 98 Camaro 3.8 M5.

I'll give the continuity checks a try and 'report back' Thanks.
            1968 350 PG SC<br />1998 3800II M5

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
              New Owner!
              by LETZRIDE
              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
              3 days ago
            • ssms5411
              Little work today
              by ssms5411
              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
              2 weeks ago
            • LETZRIDE
              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X