Spring hose trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring hose trick

I know many of you know how to do this, so consider this for the newbies.
    this is a little trick for lowering the rear of your car 1/2" to 1.5".The camaro comes with these thick rubber spring bushings so the spring is not against bare metal(makes alot of noise) so look at the pics below to get an idea of how to do it.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED.
    1.)jack with two jack stands.
    2.)lug spanner to remove wheels
    3.)pry bar or lug wrench(works great)
    4.)5/8 or 16mm tubing(ex.radiator hose,has to be flexible)
    5.)sharp cutter.

STEP 1.) Make sure the car's E-brake is on,take the jack and lift the rear side of the car,then put 1 jack stand in place, slowly lower the jack untill the car is resting solidly on the stand, repeat for the other side.

STEP 2.) Remove both rear wheels, the springs should be able to pop out with a little brain power.Once the springs are out get the tubing, do not cut it yet, take the tubing and slide in over the top opening of the spring,keep sliding it untill i makes a 360* rotation or a little bit more, use oil to make it alot easier to slide.

STEP 3.) Cut the excess hose from the spring.This is how they should look.

STEP 4.) Mount springs back into place.make sure that the original bushing is removed, sometimes they stick to the car.When mounting springs slide the spring from the front of the rearend(makes it easier)makes it easier.

STEP 5.) Use your hands to lift the spring on to the topof the rearend(my springs were rated at 127lbs not the stock 95lbs so it was tough)

STEP 6.) Use a pry bar or the tire wrench to pry the spring over the lip(be careful because if it slips it will hurt,trust me)

Re: Spring hose trick

STEP 7.) When the spring is over the lip turn the spring just until it feels right.

STEP 8.) Complete for the other side, then put wheels back on, remove the kack stand and lower the car.

FINALLY YOUR DONE. IT MAY TAKE SOME TIME FOR THE SPRING TO GET COMPRESSED AND LOWER MORE.

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU GUYS?

Comment

Not something I'd do but good job on the writeup.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
        Not something I'd do but good job on the writeup.
        why not man it works really good and doesn't cause any damage.doesn't cost much.

Comment

well, lol because when I do my suspension I'm gonna buy new springs for the whole car. I may not even need to do springs anyways, they seem like they're lowered already for some reason.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

yeah i cant spend too much on my car so i just got the stock z28 springs which are much stiffer 127lbs works great, car handles nicely, not to mention the fact that i have wide corvette rims and tires.lol

Comment

I would have taken the bolt off the shock.. probably makes things a lot easier.. and it's only one bolt per side.

Comment

^ I always take the top nut off, makes it alot easier.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

bottom nut is a thousand times easier.

Lift car, put on jackstands. Put jack under the pumkin, remove the bottom shock bolt and lower.

Not sure but you might have to remove the endlinks on the rear sway. Either way alot easier to lower it.

I did this, cool little thing, didn't take long at all but I had gotten really good at dropping the rear on the camaro.

Comment

Originally posted by xmetallicaxguitaristx View Post
                    I would have taken the bolt off the shock.. probably makes things a lot easier
                    and a whole lot safer than trying to compress a spring, using a make-shift "pry bar"

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
                      and a whole lot safer than trying to compress a spring, using a make-shift "pry bar"
                      yeah that way is for whimps, do it the hard way,lol come on a little danger is fun.

Comment

I have had a valve spring pop my thumb, don't want to imagine a suspension spring...
                        '99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0 - 4300K HID, Some Bolt-ons
                        '97 RS - HPTuner, Bolt-ons
                        '09 WRX - Aesthetic mods

Comment

yeah thats if the spring is compressed fully, mine was able to come out with a force about 20lbs or less so it is slightly compressed.

Comment

don't expect a long life using hose, but a gdecent temp fix
                            1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                            2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                            94 comero 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by Richardcoelho View Post
                              yeah thats if the spring is compressed fully, mine was able to come out with a force about 20lbs or less so it is slightly compressed.
                              Using 20 pounds to compress a large spring still gives the spring enough energy to knock your teeth out if it comes loose and hits you in the face.
                              Last edited by bigbrian442; 10-23-2008, 09:42 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                2 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X