Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drilled Rotors

Originally posted by GinsuGuy585
    Hate to break this to you but you won't see any difference in braking power with drilled unless you've been driving autocross. The whole point is to cool down the brakes so you don't get brake fade (happens when they get hot, reduces friction) when driving aggressively. If you never lose the ability to lock your wheels (your brakes can apply more force than your tires can hold to the road) then there isn't much point. That being said some drivers can tell the difference in force they need to apply to the pedal, and they do it just because it irks them not to.

Someone mentioned rust, but that is a function of the material and driving conditions, better quality non-drilled rotors won't rust either.

The only thing you should do for your brakes is to ride them a little before any hard braking in wet conditions, it drys them out. e.g. going down a long hill with a light at the bottom, ride them just enough for the pads to contact a little before the bottom so if the light changes, the brakes will be ready to stop you.
    yeah exactly what i said. you wont notice any difference in braking power...its all about look and style choices. if you like the look get them.

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

Originally posted by 99BlackW68
      haha i always thought the slots were made to carry gases created by the rotor and pad away from the rotor during hard braking. i was told that back in the old days whatever material the rotors and pads were made out of created a gas when braking hard, and nowadays they dont. so back then they were actually used for something, but now its just for look. could be right...could be way off...whatev

:rolleyes:

Slots are to keep the pads clean for the best bite.
      Cross-drilled were to allow pad gases to escape. No longer necessary due to modern pad design, but good for fast water/moisture removal.
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
        :rolleyes:

Slots are to keep the pads clean for the best bite.
        Cross-drilled were to allow pad gases to escape. No longer necessary due to modern pad design, but good for fast water/moisture removal.

and they are pretty!

just get the cheapest ones on ebay. i think i spend 150 shipped
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

I got a nice set of drilled front and rears (having one set without the other looks totally lame!) and they don't seem to warp as easily as my blanks did. They have a little bit of extra vibration to them when I stop (still getting them broken in) and they will only use semi-metallic brake pads. Ceramics weren't allowed and are said to damage the rotor. Just a few things to keep in mind. Overall, I'm very happy with mine and they look great.
          2000 Camaro V6<br />I\'ve done nothing to my car worth note. :)

Comment

Who said ceramics hurt the rotor?

My girl has slotted and drilled rotors (she insisted) and carbon metallics they work awesome, almost NO brake dust even after over 10 1/4 mile runs. Semi metallic sucks @ss thats all I have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by greasemonkey
              Who said ceramics hurt the rotor?

My girl has slotted and drilled rotors (she insisted) and carbon metallics they work awesome, almost NO brake dust even after over 10 1/4 mile runs. Semi metallic sucks @ss thats all I have to say.
              The manufacturer says: http://www.sp-performance.com/Rotor_Instal_sheet.pdf

This may not be true for all slotted/cross-drilled rotors. This company just makes it very plain in their directions. I'm not a big fan of semi-metallics, either. I usually use ceramics but not this time.
              2000 Camaro V6<br />I\'ve done nothing to my car worth note. :)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X