Shimmie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shimmie

I have not had a chance to try to look into this so I figured I would get a few opinions. When I am hitting my brakes to slow down my steering wheel used to shake really bad, I figured it was my shocks since they were leaking. So I replaced the shocks. The shimmie went away except for at around 70-75 when I would hit the brakes. But now it is back when I hit my brakes when going anywhere over 30. The steering wheel doesn't shake as bad as it used to. So I was wondering if it could be the calipers are sticking? I have also heard that the back brakes could cause that to happen but have never seen that personally. Anyone ever experienced this or have any suggestions on where to start looking? The car has discs on front and drums in the back.

Re: Shimmie

yeah I've had this before several times and it was warped rotors. I finaly got some kvr rotors and haven't had any problems since
    2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5
    Flowmaster 80 series muffler, B&M ripper shifter, SLP grille

Comment

Chances are it's either built up material from the pads on your rotors or, more likely, warped rotors. Try bedding-in the pads again to see if that helps. Other wise look into turning the rotors or getting new rotors.

Comment

yea you need to get your brakes done. Either have the rotors turned and get new pads, or get new pads and rotors
        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

warped rotors. have them machined (15$ per rotor at murrays) and you'll be good. try just the front two first. if that dont work try the back two.
          2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

I have new rotors and pads, they are both EBC. It was hardly noticeable at all when I first installed the new rotors and pads. Only felt it a little when slowing from highway speed but now it has become worse, and does it even around 35 MPH. So I am thinking something else is causing the shimmie. The old rotors were machined one and it did it worse with them then with my new rotors(at least for now).

Comment

I think you need to get under there and look for any possible broke or loose suspension pieces, also have your front tires balanced.
              Originally posted by kala
              I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
              parting her out

Comment

Yea, definately shouldn't have that kinda problems with new rotors/pads. Take Crushed's advice and go poking around in there to make sure everything is working.

Comment

Yea, I think this weekend I am going to pull the rotors and see if I can find anything loose or broken.

Comment

I have been told it could be steering caused(such as my rack and pinion is worn out), as anyone ever heard of that happening?

Comment

when your driving and turn does the wheel ever bind up on you?
                      Originally posted by kala
                      I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
                      parting her out

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X