Performance springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance springs

I did a search but i dunno I couldnt find what I was looking for. Im thinking of getting into suspension upgrades and would like to start with the shocks and springs. I think I'm gunna go with either Bilesteins or Kyb's but as far as springs, is there a performance spring out there that doesnt lower the car? I like my stock ride height especially cause I have to drive her in winter

thanks

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: Performance springs

Originally posted by LETZRIDE
    I did a search but i dunno I couldnt find what I was looking for. Im thinking of getting into suspension upgrades and would like to start with the shocks and springs. I think I'm gunna go with either Bilesteins or Kyb's but as far as springs, is there a performance spring out there that doesnt lower the car? I like my stock ride height especially cause I have to drive her in winter

thanks
    Not really. The best I can think of is the SLP progressive level 2 spring kit. It claims to only lower 1/2" but I'm not sure how realistic that drop really is (it could be more). Also the rear spring rate is a bit high IMO and even worse if you are planning on driving in icy conditions. The SLP level one kit claim 3/4" drop but again I'm not sure that is what it actually does. Also I feel the bilsteins are better shocks than the KYB's for aftermarket springs even though they aren't adjustable.
    2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Originally posted by T-Punk
      Not really. The best I can think of is the SLP progressive level 2 spring kit. It claims to only lower 1/2" but I'm not sure how realistic that drop really is (it could be more).
      Not a good move as it is for a V8. Front end weight does matter.
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Also, you're going to have to narrow down what you mean by "performance." Auto-x, drag racing, daily driving, and road racing all go in different directions

Comment

It's my daily driver, I plan to take her to the track a few times but havent had the chance yet. It handles pretty good right now but I'd like it to handle better, and I'm kind of under the impression that if I replace the shocks with something like bilsteins it would not be a good idea to leave the stock springs on?
          If I try to floor the car from stop you can feel it bog down and its a slow start, the car has 171,000 km on it, not miles and all the suspension is original. I figure its time for an upgrade so I guess something better then stock that will hold up to some hard driving...lol

Thanks

Comment

You could go with QA-1 adj. shocks and they also control ride height, then you can pick your spring rate to go with them. Their little expensive but to have that much control with ride height and the adjustability of firmness and softness, you can't go wrong. This will be my next setup.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411
              You could go with QA-1 adj. shocks and they also control ride height, then you can pick your spring rate to go with them. Their little expensive but to have that much control with ride height and the adjustability of firmness and softness, you can't go wrong. This will be my next setup.
              The website I found that has those says that it requires modification to put on? http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/qa1-eod7855p.html

I dunno, may be something worth looking into tho...but unfortunatly I still need a performance type (or better then stock) spring that doesnt lower the vehicle to go with them...

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411
                For drag racing I'll agree with you. For street use/handling not so much. The QA-1 shocks aren't really that great for handling (even the ones the sell for handling) but are great for drag racing duty. If you want adjustable shocks then Koni are the only really good choice for shocks. I don't however feel this app would require it. You did remind me of the coil over options though which there is in fact a good solution from Ground control. I would think the ground control kiit with bilstein HD's would fall under the acceptable catagory and would be a vast improvement over stock. I'm not sure what spring rates or sway bars to recommend do to you driving in conditions that I'm not very use to (being in FL and all). Also as for V8 springs not working for a V6, that isn't always true. If the springs are sold as LT1 springs then yes stay away (and I'm not sure if those SLP springs are or aren't). If they are LS1 springs then it won't be a problem really and here is why. The actual weight of a LS1 and the V6 is about the same. Our weight is a little more rearward since our engine sits back further making sway bar choice a bit different more than anything but the springs for the LS1 (in my experience) work pretty well. In fact the springs Eibach sells as V6 only springs aren't really that great IMO. The last thing I would recommend is if you don't really know what spring rates to get or if that kit would really be a good option Call up Sam Strano, but only do that if you are thinking of buying from him (he hates giving people info only to have them go elsewhere to purchase). Good luck.
                2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

LETZRIDE, UMI has the QA-1 shocks and a good selection. T-PINK your right it's depending on what performance he is looking for. I'll give up a little handling, as long as I can control my height and launch like a beast.LOL
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Is it ok to use the stock springs with an upgraded shock, such as a koni, bilstein, or QA-1 (it says can be used with OE spring with modification)

is it recommended? I really dont want to lower my car, my plastic air dam at the front already only sits like 3-4 inches off the ground stock, and for winter time I'm going to become a snow plow...but i do want my ride to handle better, and I do drive it harder in the summer and have my fun with her.

I coulda swore i read sumwhere that you have to match up the shock to the spring, so thats why im thinking I cant really use the stock spring and need to upgrade it...

Comment

So if your not wanting to go lower, I would just put in some Blistein HDs and keep your stock springs, guys get the revalved Blisteins only when they go lower. But you could throw on the lowering springs with the QA-1 shocks and put a metal air scoop on and help your city plow the roads on your commute.LOL

Comment

is it recommended? I really dont want to lower my car, my plastic air dam at the front already only sits like 3-4 inches off the ground stock
                        three to four inches off the ground, huh? Changing the oil must be a breeze for you

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
                          three to four inches off the ground, huh? Changing the oil must be a breeze for you
                          My head is wider than 4 inches... dunno about his. :o
                          1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
                            I didnt actually go out an measure... just guessing lol...could be lower could be a bit higher but i doubt its higher, looks low. Anyways it was low enuff that I was pushin some snow last winter.

So I can just put HD bilsteins on with the stock springs and not have any problems? and no modifications will be needed?....I would still kinda want to upgrade the springs if I can...atleast if it would make a difference anyways.

Comment

I didnt actually go out an measure... just guessing lol...could be lower could be a bit higher but i doubt its higher, looks low. Anyways it was low enuff that I was pushin some snow last winter.
                              just so you know, my car's front suspension is stock and it's air-dam is less than an inch off the ground

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X