Shock Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Quality

I've got some shocks that i acquired from hockeyman in the FS section, and i was swapping them out for my stock shocks today, but noticed something. ( I don't think my shocks have ever been replaced..if they have, they were with factory replacements) The car has just turned to 121K.

I just took out one shock, and I was comparing the two by compressing them by hand. The Gabriel Pro Rider shocks had noticably less resistance when compressing than the stock ones, but when stretching out again, the gabriels have noticably more resistance. These new ones have many less miles on them but I'm unsure if they are even going to be any better.

Spark Notes: Stock shocks have more resistance compressing them, and less resistance expanding again than the new ones. Which ones should I use?
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Re: Shock Quality

I'm sure the new shocks are fine. Different shocks have different compression and reboud properties. Your "test" really proves nothing about the quality of the shocks (unless the gabriel's never come back, then they are toast).

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedingFirebird
      I'm sure the new shocks are fine. Different shocks have different compression and reboud properties. Your "test" really proves nothing about the quality of the shocks (unless the gabriel's never come back, then they are toast).
      what do you mean by "never come back?"
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

More than likely to the orignal position.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
          what do you mean by "never come back?"
          If you compress the shock and it stays compressed, then it's probably bad. Eventually, withouth load, all shocks should return to their expanded position.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
            New Owner!
            by LETZRIDE
            I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
            3 days ago
          • ssms5411
            Little work today
            by ssms5411
            Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
            2 weeks ago
          • LETZRIDE
            Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
            by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
            Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
            By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
            Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
            02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X