Wheel keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel keys

Went to take off my tires to paint my brake callipers this past weekend, and I learned you have to have a special wheel key to unbolt one of the bolts on the wheels(if you have alloy wheels). My question is, I don't have that key because I just bought the car about 6 months ago and it wasn't there - so where can i get a replacement? Ebay has them, but im not sure of the spline number, if someone knows that would be cool, i dont feel like taking off the stupid covers again just to check.
    1999 v6 Camaro M5
    Automatic to Manual converted
    Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
    !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Re: Wheel keys

take it back to whomever you bought it from and kick their *** till they give you the key

Comment

You could maybe try a dealership somewhere. They might be able to hook you up and remove the wheel locks for ya. Bring some spare lug nuts with ya.
      ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

Or get new lugs, and sacrafice a socket...

'96 Trans Am M6:) Cam, lifters, 1.6rr, lt4 springs, 4 bolt mains, long tubes, TDs, short throw...etc
        '99 Firebird SOLD 1/4 mile 15.4 @ 86
        '66 Ford SOLD

Comment

see there is so many different kinds of wheel keys out there. you have no idea where that guy got the lock nuts from. either contact the person or some how get the sucker off there
          WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

A tire shop will take them off for a few bucks.
            2000 Firebird A4, 3.42 LSD, K&N, Free Cold Air, PaceSetter, 3" in/out Catco, 3" S-Pipe, 3" Intermidiate Pipe, 2.5" Flowmaster 80

Comment

Call the dealer to see if they can get you a key. If they are aftermarket break them and get new lugnuts.

Comment

My stupid wheel key that came with the car after a few times loosening and tightening the socket stripped the special pattern, and it wasn't improperly seated, those things are just junk. I ended up drilling mine out and replaced all 4 locking lugs with standard ones with outer threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech
                  I ended up drilling mine out and replaced all 4 locking lugs with standard ones with outer threads.

i say that if someone can go threw the trouble to jack up your car, take the wheels and not be caught, you can have the rims. good job
                  WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Your best bet is just to take it to any tire shop, theyll take off the locks for a few bucks

just bring some spares with ya

The first thing i did when i got my car was take off all 4 locks

like Kristen said, if someone wants your wheels theyll find a way to get em, even with the locks on

Ryan
                    2001 Pewter A4 Firebird <br />SLP CAI, B&M shift kit, B&B triflo exhaust<br />1/4: 15.139 @ 89.28 w/2.179 60\'<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/615960\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/615960</a>

Comment

I got tired of the stripped stock locking lugnuts so I got Gorillas and love em!
                      Its not that hard to get the lockers off
                      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

ah dang sounds harder than i thought it would be to resolve this. do you think you could vice-grip-brute-force the locks out?
                        1999 v6 Camaro M5
                        Automatic to Manual converted
                        Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
                        !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

you could try. probably will be too tight. wheel shops and dealerships should have a lock remover which is basically a special socket that is hammered onto the lock, and then with an impact, removed. no damage to wheels or stud
                          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

and those wheel locks are fun to beat the hell out of

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                              New Owner!
                              by LETZRIDE
                              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                              2 days ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Little work today
                              by ssms5411
                              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X