Need Brake Drum Scematics (Swapping Rear End) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Brake Drum Scematics (Swapping Rear End)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Brake Drum Scematics (Swapping Rear End)

Hello,

I have a 3.42/Posi/Drum rear end right now and I bought a used 3.73/Posi/Drum rear end. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The problem is the 3.73 rear end, the drums are completely taken apart. Instead of disconnecting the E-Brake cable from the body area, he unhooked the cable from the inside of the brake drums by removing everything..

So, What I have to so is this, Either reassemble the brake drum assembly and connect the E-brake wire inside of the drum, OR remove my axles from my rear end completely assembled and install them in the 3.73 rear end.

What do you guys think? I believe there are only 4 bolts holding the axels on and I could just swap the axels, but I would still like to know how to reassemble the drum assembly. There are MANY springs and clips. :(

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks.
    Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Re assembling the drum assembly is a pain!!!! but not if you have the right tools which I did not :( once you do it once or twice it gets easier, if there is such a thing. It is kinda hard to explain step by step but if you just look at it it isn't hard to figure how things go back together, it is getting it back together that is the pain in the butt. The main thing is the big spring, I used a medium sized punch. Just stuck it in the end of the spring and pulled it across, flew off once or twice but finnaly got it [img]smile.gif[/img]
    97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

how strong is it?

Ehh.. either way you might be able to convert it to discs, isn't it just replacing the axle shafts? Jsut working on disc is alot easier.

Comment

I like drums. I like no brake dust. And I like not having to grind the calipers to fit my 15x8 wheels on.

I looked at all the parts laying on the floor for the drum assembly. It does not look easy. I'll probably put both rear's next to eachother and swap one piece at a time and hope there is nothing left when I'm done.
        Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

Might be easier to just throw those 3.73s in your rear. Of course that all depends on what tools you have, and how confident you are about messing with the diffy.
          -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X