Rotors warped again... Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotors warped again... Question...

Alright, my rotors are warping again. This is the third time since I got my car. :mad:

I was wondering if there was anyway to know which rotors were warped without taking them all off. Also, can you tell it is warped by looking at it? I'd rather not have to replace all of them. Last time I got them fixed they were turned, so im pretty sure i cant do that again.

So, say it is just my front rotors, is there anything wrong with just replacing the fronts with slotted rotors? Do I need to change pads when I change rotors too?

Thanks

~Brian

[ May 02, 2002: Message edited by: DeathBuzzz ]</p>
    NEW 2002 Onyx Black SS Camaro<br />M6, leather, T-tops, Hurst shifter<p>sold: 1999 Pewter V6 A4 Camaro

Is your car still under warranty? I apologize for being new so I don't know your original story, but did they get replaced under warranty at all?

The reason I ask is because we had a Mercury Cougar and kept having problems with warped rotors. They weren't going to cover it under warranty but we b*tched enough that they did the first 2 times they warped. (They kept telling us it was the way we were driving!:mad [img]smile.gif[/img] Finally, the 3rd time they warped Mercury acknowedged that the rotors were not thick enough for the weight of the vehicle and was replacing them with thicker rotors. Maybe this is happening with our Birds too?

Good luck!
    Barb
    2001 Firebird (Navy Blue, V6, 5-speed)<br />1971 Corvette Convertible (Bridgehampton Blue, 454, 4-speed)

Comment

its not just bird it is camaros as well 98+ all have the same problem. I just got tired of it and bought power slot slotted rotors for the LS1 and was done with it.
      <b><a href=\"http://www.sick-sixx.com\" target=\"_blank\">SICK-SIXX MEMBER</a></b><br />NA 14.345 with a 1.863 60 foot<br />Nitrous 13.03@99.5 with a 1.63 60 foot<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L A4: USE TO HAVE Comp Cam 210/220 .535/.547 113lsa 111 I/C, Port and Polished Heads, NX Wet Kit 100 Shot, CPRA made by CP, RK Sport Headers

Comment

nope they won't replace under warranty, they'll only give you a free turndown. I hate them because that only lasted about 3 months. Now when I hit the brakes they pulsate like a mofo at high speeds. :(

Comment

Im assuming that you have the stock rotors on? as far as rotors go, DON'T buy the 20 buck autozone ones. I had em and warped em the first time i drove hard. I went to another parts tore and got Bendix Rotors and pads. Ive had these on the car for about 3 months and no warping at all, although they do start to shudder if i get them really hot in a short time, but no long term warping. You may also try AC Delco Dura-stop rotors. Ive heard they are a great rotor.
          AS far as why your rotors are warping, you may want to check out both of your front brake calipers. I know on my old 91 Z28, the right side caliper was sticking and not letting the piston retract all the way into the caliper. This kept the brake pad against the rotor at all times, which causes a huge aount of heat. That basically destroys your rotor and pads.
          One last thing, make sure whenever you put new or re-turned rotors on that you put new fresh pads on. reusing the pads from the previous set will cause all sorts of problem. Usually pads that are on warped rotors are not perfectly flat, so they dont cotact the rotor squarely. This could diminish braking ability and possibly mess up your new ones.
          Good luck.
          1979 Z28 Camaro, 1 of 10,000 Factory 4 speeds. <br />1994 Camaro Sport Coupe, M5<br />Best ET: 15.31@91.5 (25 hp NOS)

Comment

Another thought/tip...

I don't wash the car too soon after hard braking. If I take it to the drive-through car wash, I try to make it my first place I stop while I'm out, and brake easy on the way. It's gotta be bad for them, getting the rotors hot, then spraying cold water on part of one side of them.
            \'98 A4 Camaro v6-&gt;v8 conversion, and STS kit next<br />v6: 13.6 Powerdyne, 13.2 150 shot, 13.8 120 shot, 14.3 85 shot, 15.7 stock<br />v8(na): 12.18@113, 392rwhp<br />Moderator on <a href=\"http://www.mtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.mtfba.org</a> and <a href=\"http://www.frrax.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.frrax.com</a> (Road Race & Autocross)<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/johnduncan10\" target=\"_blank\">Car pics</a>, <a href=\"http://www.trscca.com\" target=\"_blank\">TN Region SCCA</a>

Comment

Ok, could we all sit back, relax, and maybe read my questions?

To summerize:

How can I tell which rotors are warping so i can replace them? Is there any problem with just replacing the fronts with slotted rotors?

Thanks,

~Brian

[ May 03, 2002: Message edited by: DeathBuzzz ]</p>
              NEW 2002 Onyx Black SS Camaro<br />M6, leather, T-tops, Hurst shifter<p>sold: 1999 Pewter V6 A4 Camaro

Comment

OK, well physically just by looking at them I doubt that you can/could notice any warpage at all. Only way i know how is to yank em off there and take them to a shop that will turn rotors. Also, i beleieve there is a tool taht can tell if rotors are warped. If im not mistaken its called a brake runout tool or something like that.
                1979 Z28 Camaro, 1 of 10,000 Factory 4 speeds. <br />1994 Camaro Sport Coupe, M5<br />Best ET: 15.31@91.5 (25 hp NOS)

Comment

Hmmm... My rotors are pretty warped... I guess its an excuse to change them all to decent aftermarket rotors... Has anyone ever had a problem with Powerslots warping?

~Brian

Comment

well to tell which ones are warped without taking them off...I guess you'd have to make at educated guess at which way the car pulls or doesnt pull, if your right fornt rotor is fine, and your left front is warped, it could pull on the right then let off, its just something you have to kinda get used to....I have the same prob with my rotors, always the front ones...3 times now its happened and on the 2nd and 3rd time I was right at which rotor was warped.... [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
                    05' CTS-V
                    00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DeathBuzzz:
                      Ok, could we all sit back, relax, and maybe read my questions?

To summerize:

How can I tell which rotors are warping so i can replace them? Is there any problem with just replacing the fronts with slotted rotors?

Thanks,

~Brian

[ May 03, 2002: Message edited by: DeathBuzzz ]
                      <hr></blockquote>

Most likely it's your fronts that are warping. And if it's the front, most likely they are both warped. The fronts do like 80% of the braking, as I recall. You can check to see if the back is warped or not by pulling on the hand brake a little, NOT ALL THE WAY OR YOU MITE SPIN, and see if there is any vibrations.

Like you mine was warped too. It started at about 12,000 miles. I just got mine turned for the first time several weeks back at my work for free. The car had ~58k when I turned them.

As for what rotors to get, I was reading up on the threads last year to see what rotors to get, because if I turn them, it will get thinner and will warp yet again. If it does, I will be getting the KVR blank rotors. That's what I would recommend.
                      [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                      1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X