Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! BRAKES GOING OUT!!!!!

Hey all,

I have a problem with my brakes and I need some adivice on what the problem may be and what I could do to fix it myself. I don't want to pay a high-priced mechanic to do the work, especially around the high-priced area I live in.

Here's the problem:

When I apply my brake, usually when I'm idling in traffic, the brake pedal will slip. The car will start to slow down like normal, and then all of a sudden the brakes will briefly feel like they slip. During this slip, the brake pedal feels like a normal stop, then for a second, the car will feel like there's no stopping power, then brake pedal will sink more toward the floor (not totally on the floor)and the brakes will catch, like a sudden jerk of stopping power. During the time the brakes slip, my "NO TRAC" light will illuminate.

It doesn't do this all the time. When I first noticed it, it would only do it in the parking garage at work every once in a while. However, now it's doing it more freqently in traffic and at traffic lights. It doesn't do this problem when I'm going like 45 mph and then stop. It only does it at really slow speeds like in parking lots and in traffic or at traffic lights.

A couple of my friends suggested that I could have air in my brake lines and try pumping my brakes for a while. I pumped the brakes for about five minutes. That didn't do anything but give me a tired leg. I checked the fluid level in my master cylinder resevoir and it's still full. I had new brake pads put on along with new rotors about a few months ago. The brake pads and rotor probably have around 6,000 miles of ware on them, so they still have a lot of life left.

I have a haynes manual for my car that can give me step-by-step ways to take off any part on my car. I also have access to a garage on base (I'm in the military) that has every snap on tool you can think of, including hydraulic lifts. I have the tools and rescources to perform the repairs myself, I just need some of you guys to tell me what is wrong, what part I need to buy and the best way for me to go about fixing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 1996 Chevy Camaro 3.8 with some bolt-on mods.
    3.8 V6: Pacesetter Headers, SLP Cold Air Intake, Vortex cat back exhaust, Advanced timing mod, 160 degree Hypertech thermostat.<p>Other mods, 16\" ASA wheels with HTR sumitomo tires, Viper 550 Alarm with remote start.

Sounds like you need to bleed your brakes...
    1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

It is very possible there is nothing wrong with your car. It, like most new cars, comes with an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). If the computer senses that a tire is locked up and skidding, it will pulsate the brakes (apply them, and let them loose, and apply them). When the computer does this it turns on the Low Trac light.

As for getting the air out of the brakes, the Haynes manual describes the correct way to do this. Look for bleeding brakes in the brake section. You need to open and close the bleeder valves while you are pumping the brake. Just pumping the brake without opening and closing the bleeder valves at the right times will do nothing, but make your leg tired.

It sounds to me like everything is working exactly as it should.
      <a href=\"http://www.fatninjas.com/camaro\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Camaro Convertible</a>

Comment

Really, bleeding the brakes?

I was thinking that it could be the master cylinder or something. But, I'll try bleeding the brakes first. That seems like a more inexpensive way then going out and spending a lot of cash on parts I don't need or taking the car do the dealer so they can rob me blind.

Thanks guys.

Any ideas how that could of happend? Getting air in the brake lines that is?
        3.8 V6: Pacesetter Headers, SLP Cold Air Intake, Vortex cat back exhaust, Advanced timing mod, 160 degree Hypertech thermostat.<p>Other mods, 16\" ASA wheels with HTR sumitomo tires, Viper 550 Alarm with remote start.

Comment

Pulsating pedal, low trac and jerking are all signs of ABS system at work. Maybe you have sticky caliper. Or maybe ABS system is malfunctioning.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Pulsating pedal, low trac and jerking are all signs of ABS system at work. Maybe you have sticky caliper. Or maybe ABS system is malfunctioning. <hr></blockquote>

I'd have to agree.

Plus you metioned this only happens sometimes. If your brake lines had air in them, it would be everytime the pedal sinks to the floor and your Low Trac light wouldn't turn on.
            1999 Pontiac Trans Am M6 Far from stock.....
            Pics http://rides.webshots.com/album/5599...Dk?vhost=rides

Comment

check your brake fluid
              96 3.8L V6 Camaro 5-Speed<br />Vroom Vroom<br />No Power Doors / No Power Locks<br />Removed Jack and Spare<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mikerob283\" target=\"_blank\">CarDomain - Mikerob283</a>

Comment

Hope i can help you out bro.
                I have had the same problem. I have a 95 3.4l and it freeked me out. What if some one was in front of me and the brakes failed was the only thing i could think of. I took out the ABS relay located in the front right side of the engine compartment. I have had no problems since. Granted it is not designed to run without it. But i figure all the cars that i have owned prior to the firebird had regular brakes so what is the difference. I have had it out for 2 yrs now and the car works just fine. Never liked the idea of a computer controlling my breaking anyways. Hope this helps.............

Comment

yea, one of three things.

1) Bleed the breaks
                  2) Have a friend push the pedal in from in the car, and put your ear near the master break cyl. Listen for hissing when he puts it in. you may have a vaccum leak
                  3) I know on my 95 s-10, the breaks ate a$$. If i was on the breaks at all, and hit a bump in the road, the abs would go off. your abs unit could be def. messin things up. but abs is $$$$$$$$$ to get fixed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                    New Owner!
                    by LETZRIDE
                    I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                    4 days ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Little work today
                    by ssms5411
                    Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • LETZRIDE
                    Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                    by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                    Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                    By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                    Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                    02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X