swaping rears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swaping rears

how hard is it to swap from drum brake rear to a disk brake rear??? should it hook right up with no problems for will their be problems?? need to know asap
    thanks scott
    94 firebird black 3.4 A4<br />ram-air hood,trans am nose,30th aniversery raceing stripes/side,decals,tb-bypass,160* thermostate,ported throttle body,accel coils,msd wires,NGK plugs,catback-flowmaster exhaust,ASP underdrive pulley\'s,k&n cone airfilter,aluminum race pedals,N.O.S 5175,trans go shift kit,corvette servo,converted to a 96 rear with 3.42\'s,lsd,disk brakes,mac lowering springs, Xenon headlights,chrome firehawk 17\'s with 275/40/17<br />best et. 15.558<br />mph 87.89

If I'm not mistaken, everything hooks up with no problem alll you have to get is a new e-brake cable. Am I correct, guys?
    E-mail: ibjanky@yahoo.com<br />AOL IM: IBJanky

Comment

I think I crossed by a website somewhere where a guy swapped out his entire rearend with a z28 rear. That way he could get both disc and limited slip. I'm not sure if he replaced the master cylinder? I thought disc required more pressure.

Comment

The master cylinder is the same but a proportioning valve will be needed from an fbody with rear disc. New Ebrake cable and everything else is the same.
        1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L <br />TA front bumper, TA rear bumper, 98-02 Honeycomb tailights, GM Ram Air hood, 2k C5 18X9.5 Corvette rims all the way around, custom autoloc shaved handles, camaro two tone interior, silver badging, clear front marker lenses, RK sport headers, gutted cat, dynomax dual exhaust, Rear disc rearend, Richmond 3.73 gears, Zexel torsen LSD, Cross drilled front rotors, 2 12\" MTX thunder 8000s, Clarion 400W amp, MTX 5 1/4 <br />Components, thunder 4262 amp, pioneer head unit, Hypertech power programmer (Yes it does exist)

Comment

alright thanks guys i bought it today so should go in within a month. i got it because 3.42 gears disks,and posi
          94 firebird black 3.4 A4<br />ram-air hood,trans am nose,30th aniversery raceing stripes/side,decals,tb-bypass,160* thermostate,ported throttle body,accel coils,msd wires,NGK plugs,catback-flowmaster exhaust,ASP underdrive pulley\'s,k&n cone airfilter,aluminum race pedals,N.O.S 5175,trans go shift kit,corvette servo,converted to a 96 rear with 3.42\'s,lsd,disk brakes,mac lowering springs, Xenon headlights,chrome firehawk 17\'s with 275/40/17<br />best et. 15.558<br />mph 87.89

Comment

I have done it, same gears as you. I heard yes you need a new proportioning valve, and no you don't, I do not have one and my car stops better then it ever did when it had drums, I have some midas pads in the front and whatever pads that came with the axle in the rear.

the lines hook up by the left rear wheel, jsut unhook and rehook up, and connect the little wire connector, I guess its for the low trac sensor. Mine owrks jsut like it did with discs, jsut I have been to lazy to get e-brake cable for disk brakes.

Comment

So you can just buy a z28 rear end, and it hooks up fine? So you get gears, LSD, and disk brakes? WHere did you buy it from?? The brakes just hook up? Ive never heard that this would work with the brakes before! That would be really cool.
              1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
              1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

worked no problem with me, my car stops about the same if not better then my girlfriends Cavalier with drums, but I weigh alot more and have crappy pads. I evne autocross with the 4 wheel disc brakes.

I got the stuff form www.speedautomotive.com I had ot replace the rotors, and I changed the fluid to know what was in it. Relatively easy, headache wise, but pain in the *** physically, especially by yourself in a parking garage [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Comment

sweet thanks muctangeater. i will try hooking it up without the valve. i founf the rear in the news paper he was asking $400 but got it for $300. i think thats a pretty good price. i will tell you all after i hook it up how hard it was.
                  thanks everyone scott

Comment

Yeah make sure you at least keep me posted, I am planning on making it my next mod.
                    1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                    1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by scooby:
                      The master cylinder is the same but a proportioning valve will be needed from an fbody with rear disc. New Ebrake cable and everything else is the same.<hr></blockquote>

you should not need proportioning valve at all. very rarely do you see them on rwd vehicles with rear discs and ABS. really no need for them.
                      ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X