ABS INOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS INOP

Anyone with some advice on this will be greatly appreciate.

Just picked up a 93 stock bird with a 3.4 about a month ago. Just minor issues that I have to take care of up to this point (that damn headlight motor noise!), but there is one thing that I want to tackle right away. The abs inop light is blinking almost constantly, but I think the abs system is working fine. I havn't even picked up the shop manual for the car yet, but I just wanted to see if anyone had some ideas about trouble-shooting. Please help. Thanks [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img]
    1998 Firebird, 3.8 V6, Navy Blue, Flowmaster 3\"American Thunder Catback, K&N Filter, Custom Smooth Air Bellow for Angled 98 MAF

i JUST sold my other camaro...a 93 (just like ur bird).

I too had that problem.

It all started when I got new tires...

I bought a set of Sigmas from Tire Kingdom, they were ALOT wider than the previous tires. As soon as I drove out the parking lot...my ABS Inop light came on.

I called Tire Kingdom and they said the wider tires were throwing off my brake sensors or some BS like that.

I dont see how that could be possible, anyway take your car to your local GM dealer, have them check it out.

Comment

thanks black 97,

only problem is I am a born and raised "wrencher." I am pretty proud that none of my vehicles have ever been touched by anyone other than me. Maybe it is just time to swallow my pride, but oh well. Dealers make me nervous, don't they charge you $50 just to drive into the service area?
      1998 Firebird, 3.8 V6, Navy Blue, Flowmaster 3\"American Thunder Catback, K&N Filter, Custom Smooth Air Bellow for Angled 98 MAF

Comment

I had the same problem with my '94 Camaro.

I also had to bring the car in..

As my father, an ex-mechanic, said:
        "I used to be able to strip a car down bolt by bolt and then put it back together.. Damn these computers.."
        \'02 3.8L, Pewter Metallic Camaro<br /> - Y87 Performance Package<br /> - T-Tops<br /> - Monsoon Audio<br /> * SLP CAI<br /> * Whisper Lid<br /> * K&N Filter

Comment

so what was the bottom line for cost? Did it require some actual "repairs", or was it just a reprogram/ECM kind of an issue?

Comment

Check your third brake light. If is out, it will mess up the ABS. (that is what was wrong with mine when I bought it)
            But I have never seen one blink before because of a blown bulb.

When it blinks that means there is an urgent problem that you should fix it immediately. It won’t pass inspection with a blinking ABS light.

Check you’re under hood fuses also. And the grounds on either side of the Fan shroud.

You could check your ABS sensors to make sure they are plugged in and clean.

I think you can test the sensors with a multimeter also.

An ABS diagnostic is about $50 ($70 if it is the 4wheel ABS system) at my local AutoTec guy. I would imagine it would be much more at a dealer.
            <b>LS1 RX7! </b> &#0124;&#0124; <a href=\"http://www.no-bling.com/image_galleries/index.php?action=viewgallery&gallery=galleries/eyeoutthere_LS1_FC\" target=\"_blank\">Full Gallery</a> <br /><br />LT1 Header Informtion/survey

Comment

how wide are your tires???? Also check your brake pads.......

Comment

The tires are basically the factory size (check sig), and I guess I didn't take too close a look at the brake pads when I had the wheels off. The problem existed right after I picked up the car, even with the factory wheels and garbage tires on it.

Hey eye out there:

give me a little more detail about the specific fuses/relays to check. I checked all the simple fuses, and also poked around in the fuse box under the hood, and didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

Honestly, I wish I had an excuse to swap out the rear drums so any advice involving that would be just peachy! :rolleyes:

Comment

I had the same problem with my 94 when i bought it. A buddy of mine suggested i turn on the power and hit the gas three times to reset it and it worked hasent been on since. maybe give it a shot.
                  94 Camaro A4 Dark-Maroon 153k<br />Slp CAI,Transgo stage2,Tranny Cooler,AL ds,bilstien, eibachi\'s,bmr stuffs.

Comment

WTF is he talking about? What could that possibly do?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I had the same problem with my 94 when i bought it. A buddy of mine suggested i turn on the power and hit the gas three times to reset it and it worked hasent been on since. maybe give it a shot. <hr></blockquote>

Uh, I would clean the contacts on the breaks first off, then consult a manual. Dealer last, always!

-Brian
                    Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

Brian, I also don't know what the hell that is about, but I am curious to find out.

Camaro 3.4 , give me a little more of a clear explanation, I will definately try it. Car on or off, what gear, what does this accomplish?

Comment

CLICK HERE TO FIX YOUR HEADLIGHT, IT SAVED ME $270!!!!

This works and is WORTH IT!!!!
                        Then: 1997 3.8L Red Firebird~SOLD!~<p>Now: 2002 Atlantic Blue Dodge Ram 1500

Comment

I tried it already, man was I pissed when it didn't work. I havn't taken the motors apart yet, that is the next step, but hopefully that is the next step. That fix just changed the grinding from occurring when the light is going down to when it goes up, so I just changed it back.

Comment

if it is blinking while driving I am willing to bet it is a sensor problem, I'd try testing with a multimeter... If I remember tonight I'll check my manual to see if there are any instructions meanwhile you can do a little looking around at the sensors and make sure they are all plugged in..
                            -Brad
                            98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                            2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                            If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                            :rock:

Comment

Thanks, Brad.

I will go ahead and poke around with the electrical connections, but we all know how much that is going to show me. I can't help but think that it is some kind of a sensor that is just bugged out, maybe even just needs to have the battery disconnected to reset the system. I would love any input you get from the manual. thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X