Autocross spring/ shock setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autocross spring/ shock setup

At the autocross school I attended this last week end I was advised to get new shocks for my car. I don't know if it would be best to get new springs while I am at it. I have the 1LE sway bars front and back and have a little oversteer under throttle right now.
    I see a lot of conflicting info on which springs and shocks are best for various applications. I was recamended to go whith the KYB AGX shocks because of the ability to adjust them. Would these work well for autocross? Which springs would still leave my car a good long distance daily commuter (35 miles each way)?
    Any insites would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post
    2000 Chameleon Trans Am M6 factory hurst, T-tops, 5.7L LS1<p>(Traded my six in)

Bilstein HDs will take you far with the 1LE swaybars - you shouldnt need new springs unless you *want* to lower your car.
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

It depends on your ultimate goal for the car.

Comment

Sam Strano can answer your questions better than anyone on this board. Serious autocrosser, sells all kinds of shocks, some custom valved. Nice guy on the phone.
        2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

I finished doing my suspension set-up this past weekend. I have the following:
          Front: 1LE Sway Bar, WS6 Springs, Bilstein HDs
          Rear: 1LE Sway Bar and Panhard Rod, Stock Springs, Bilstein HDs.
          The car handles awesome with this setup. It's comfortable to ride in normally, actually a bit smoother than the stock suspension. It only start to border on uncomfortable when going over pretty hard bumps, because it rebounds so fast, you can feel it in your back, but it's not bad. On the freeway, it's awesome. The rear end doesn't want to skip around anymore when going over bumps and around corners, and the whole car doesn't move around as much when there are heavy cross winds.
          In turning, there is very little to no lean, depending on the speed, and the car has a comfortable bit of oversteer. There is very little nose-in when braking.
          Hope this helps, if you have any questions, shoot me a line.
          Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
            New Owner!
            by LETZRIDE
            I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
            3 days ago
          • ssms5411
            Little work today
            by ssms5411
            Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
            2 weeks ago
          • LETZRIDE
            Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
            by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
            Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
            By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
            Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
            02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X