Rubbing tires...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubbing tires...

hey guys i have a question, i just put 18" eagle 077s on my car, which is lowered 1.5" and im having some slight problems with the tires rubbing on my wheel wells when i hit bumps and turning at speed
    is there any way to keep my rear suspension from completely compressing down to keep it from rubbing? ive heard of spring spacers but im not quite sure where to get them or what kind to look for
    any help is much appreciated
    Jhonathan
    R.I.P \'99 Firebird, you will be missed<p>New toy - 2001 GSXR-750, Yoshimura Exhaust, Power Commander, Rebuilt Airbox

Did you upgrade the jounce bump spacer? This isn't a spring spacer, it sits above your axle behind the wheel well. Basically its a piece of rubber that hits the axle when your spring compresses, keeping the inner wheel well from rubbing your tire. You can get it here at SLPonline.com. Its just a longer one then you already have.

[img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

[ April 21, 2002: Message edited by: Dojo2000 ]</p>
    ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

Forget the junk spacers.. all that does is limit the suspension travel and since your car is lowered you will have no or very little suspension travel at all. if its rubbing in the wheel well take a BFH (Big Fricken Hammer) to where ever its rubbing and massage it in just a bit. If its the lip on the fender you can roll those back. Also do you have an Adjustable Panhard Bar? if not when you lowered it it threw off the rearend and left it uncentered in the car making it rub in the well.
      John -Acrophobic V6 racing-<br />\"Yeah, its a Z28, I just removed 1/4 of the engine to save weight.\"

Comment

I had to do some ghetto rigging and bent the edge of the wheel upward so the sharp edges won't be cutting into the tire when it rubs..
        <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

if only 1 side is rubbing, you need an adjustable panhard rod. this will allow you to re-center your rear end. when you lower your car, the rear end moves to one side more than the other. to fix this, the adj. ability of the panhard rod will push your rear end back to center. the rod is about 130 or so.
          2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Patrick Javert:
            if only 1 side is rubbing, you need an adjustable panhard rod. this will allow you to re-center your rear end. when you lower your car, the rear end moves to one side more than the other. to fix this, the adj. ability of the panhard rod will push your rear end back to center. the rod is about 130 or so.<hr></blockquote>

Yea, I'll eventually get one because only one side is rubbing. It maybe off by about 1/4 inch. BMR has them for about $110

[ April 21, 2002: Message edited by: shortdog273 ]</p>

Comment

it does seem to be about 1/4 inch off center but it does scrape on both sides...
              the panhard rod may help but im not 100% sure how much
              it would lessen the scraping on one side while making the other worse...i think my only options at this point are trying to massage the wheel well a bit to get that sharp edge off or try to put spacers in to keep the rear suspension from compressing... ill check out the thing from SLP to find out what that will do for me as it seems to be my best bet at this point
              thanks for all the help guys
              R.I.P \'99 Firebird, you will be missed<p>New toy - 2001 GSXR-750, Yoshimura Exhaust, Power Commander, Rebuilt Airbox

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jhonathan:
                i think my only options at this point are trying to massage the wheel well a bit to get that sharp edge off or try to put spacers in to keep the rear suspension from compressing... ill check out the thing from SLP <hr></blockquote>

You might have to go my route(the ghetto way) and bend the edges upward as much as possible with a cresent wrench

Comment

i may try that i just dont want to do anything that will mess up my body....some day i do plan on selling the car [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by shortdog273:
                    You might have to go my route(the ghetto way) and bend the edges upward as much as possible with a cresent wrench<hr></blockquote>

An old hot-rodder trick is to get a wood bat, wedge it between the tire and fender so the handle is pointing out toward you and the fat end is laying on the tire tread. Then have someone (very carefully) let the car roll a little at a time. You can roll the fender lip flatter up into the fenderwell without crimping the metal or flaking any paint off.
                    \'98 A4 Camaro v6-&gt;v8 conversion, and STS kit next<br />v6: 13.6 Powerdyne, 13.2 150 shot, 13.8 120 shot, 14.3 85 shot, 15.7 stock<br />v8(na): 12.18@113, 392rwhp<br />Moderator on <a href=\"http://www.mtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.mtfba.org</a> and <a href=\"http://www.frrax.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.frrax.com</a> (Road Race & Autocross)<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/johnduncan10\" target=\"_blank\">Car pics</a>, <a href=\"http://www.trscca.com\" target=\"_blank\">TN Region SCCA</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by John_D.:

An old hot-rodder trick is to get a wood bat, wedge it between the tire and fender so the handle is pointing out toward you and the fat end is laying on the tire tread. Then have someone (very carefully) let the car roll a little at a time. You can roll the fender lip flatter up into the fenderwell without crimping the metal or flaking any paint off.
                      <hr></blockquote>

Good idea, but I don't think I have enough wheel well space for the bat to fit in. With my 18s, I only have about an inch of wheel well gap. I'm gonna still try it though.

[ April 22, 2002: Message edited by: shortdog273 ]</p>

Comment

short dog, let me know how it turns out
                        i may try this [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                          New Owner!
                          by LETZRIDE
                          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                          3 days ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Little work today
                          by ssms5411
                          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • LETZRIDE
                          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X