This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires, what kind

Okay time has come for new tires. My GSC Goodyear p245/50/ZR16 tires are about gone :( . Anyways suggestions for new tires. I don't need the Z speed rating (no plans for 149+ MPH). So what I need is a CHEAP as in $100 or less per tire, but have good tread life and traction in both wet and dry conditions and a 100mph or slightly higher rating. I don't like Potenza RE910 or Bridgestone for that matter.
    <br />RIP<br />1995 Chevrolet Camaro<br />3.4L V6 A4<br />Flowmaster 40 Series<br />K&N FIPK<br />Throttle Body Coolant Bypass<br />180 Degree Thermostat<br />3.42 Ring Gear<br />Steel One Piece Driveshaft<br />IAT Relocation<br />and a website <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/jason_b298\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.geocities.com/jason_b298</a><br />New Ride 2000 S-10<br />4.3L V6 VIN W<br />auto <br />3.42 w/ LSD<br />more coming soon

I went on www.tirerack.com
    I checked on the tire size you want and under $100
    kumho ecsta supra 87 712 $87
    sumitomo htr 4 $80
    sumitomo htrz $90
    Hope that helps
    Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
    nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
    2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
    2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Yea, Kumhos are the best bang for the buck. I got mine from www.discounttiredirect.com

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: shortdog273 ]

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: shortdog273 ]</p>
      <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Why put a Japanese tire on an American car? Unpatriotic bastards! :D ;) Yokohama, Kumho, and all those other brands are pretty good, but they belong on Civics, not F-Bodies, Mustangs, Vipers, or Corvettes. BFG, Goodyear, Dunlop, Michelin, Firestone, and all of the other "domestic" brands are just as good and don't make your car look confused as to it's all-American heritage. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I just got my Dunlop SP Sport 5000 245/50ZR16's last week and LOVE THEM. I was used to Goodyear Eagle F1 275/40ZR17s and drag radials + skinnies so for me the Dunlops were the perfect match.

They're the highest rated for rain and snow out of any 245/16 "ultra high performance" tire.

They're W speed rated, which is up to 168 mph. FYI, Z rated is a catch-all for any tire that's rated above 150 mph, so W and Y are also Z.

Cost was $114 each from www.tirerack.com . Quite a bargain compared to the $275 per tire I was paying for my F1s.

Ride comfort is fine, treadlife is fine, cornering is excellent.

Don't go with a 255, that's too wide for an 8 inch rim. Wider is better up to a point where your rims can handle it, you don't want your tires sticking out like 255s do.

Direct link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/dunlop/du_s5000.jsp

I used to be gung-ho "has to be the absolute top of the line for me to even look at it" type but the Dunlops are much more realistic. Two thumbs up IMHO. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I prefer Futura Ultra Zs, even if you don't need the Z-rating they handle like no tomorrow both dry and wet. The cost depends on your rim size, 15's run under $400 installed 16's are a little over installed.
          91 Firebird 3.1<br />SC12 Supercharger<br />LSD w/ 3.73s<br />NOS 80hp wet shot<br />AKA: Phoenix<br />\"If Speed Kills...Consider Me Dead.\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stefan:
            Why put a Japanese tire on an American car? Unpatriotic bastards! :D ;) Yokohama, Kumho, and all those other brands are pretty good, but they belong on Civics, not F-Bodies, Mustangs, Vipers, or Corvettes. BFG, Goodyear, Dunlop, Michelin, Firestone, and all of the other "domestic" brands are just as good and don't make your car look confused as to it's all-American heritage. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I just got my Dunlop SP Sport 5000 245/50ZR16's last week and LOVE THEM. I was used to Goodyear Eagle F1 275/40ZR17s and drag radials + skinnies so for me the Dunlops were the perfect match.

They're the highest rated for rain and snow out of any 245/16 "ultra high performance" tire.

They're W speed rated, which is up to 168 mph. FYI, Z rated is a catch-all for any tire that's rated above 150 mph, so W and Y are also Z.

Cost was $114 each from www.tirerack.com . Quite a bargain compared to the $275 per tire I was paying for my F1s.

Ride comfort is fine, treadlife is fine, cornering is excellent.

Don't go with a 255, that's too wide for an 8 inch rim. Wider is better up to a point where your rims can handle it, you don't want your tires sticking out like 255s do.

Direct link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/dunlop/du_s5000.jsp

I used to be gung-ho "has to be the absolute top of the line for me to even look at it" type but the Dunlops are much more realistic. Two thumbs up IMHO. [img]smile.gif[/img]
            <hr></blockquote>

Lol at stefan. Sorry you feel that way man or CAPTAIN AMERICA, but everything that people buy isn't always american made, so take that political bull**** somewhere else....

Comment

Uh... Isn't Dunlop historically a British company??? Isn't Michelin a French company???

[ducking and running for cover]

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: V6Bob ]</p>
              2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

^5 V6 bob. Agree. Just like the chrysler plant don't allow imports on their lots, BUT they put MITSUBISHI ENGINES in some of their cars. So STEPHAN?...DONOT go there with us anymore.....

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: shortdog273 ]</p>

Comment

Stefan,

I'm still driving around on the original 235/55R16s on my car. I'm trying to figure out what I want when they need to be replaced. I liked your analysis.

My question to you:
                  Snow obviously will never be an issue for me, but we get daily massive rain downpours in the summer. Thus, wet performance is critical.

Would you recommend the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 245/50ZR16's for me?
                  I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                  CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                  FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Shortdog,

You already put in your two cents. why go and start calling names it doesn't get us anywhere or answer his question.

Jason,
                    I just got kumho ecsta supra for my 17's and like them alot [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

jon

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: methodman ]</p>
                    04 black comp G GTP<br />*sold* 2000 z28 6speed <br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/extinctls1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/extinctls1</a>

Comment

I got Kumho's on my bird. I didn't know that I was supposed to get American tires and now when I spin the tires they make that fart pipe noise instead of squealing like they should. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                      2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

Sp5000's are good, SP8000's are good too, and Kumho's are good as well :D

Ive heard nothing bad about any of those, so pick your poison. I know nothing about snow tires though, I feel sorry for those of you that live in snow country.

Stefan, have you tried 255/50's on your car? How would you know if they're too wide if you haven't? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by methodman:
                          Shortdog,

You already put in your two cents. why go and start calling names it doesn't get us anywhere or answer his question.

Jason,
                          I just got kumho ecsta supra for my 17's and like them alot [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

jon

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: methodman ]
                          <hr></blockquote>

Well method man, he took things in the wrong direction first, but I dont recall calling nobody out their names except if you're talkin about the "Captain America" joke lol. I put my "2 Cents" in when he got personal and called us UNPATRIOTIC BASTARDS, so what are you talkin about??

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X