KBDD
    BMR STB

I want
    eibach pro kit
    bilstine shocks (not the take offs)
    BMR ajustable panhard rod
    BMR control arms and relocating brackets
    BMR front and rear sway bars

i'm not V6bob, but why wouldnt those be a good upgrade?
    6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

I hate to cop out here, but I gotta.

I have no idea what the Eibach spring rates are. Even if I did I can only guess at the resulting handling. I can only say the BMR bars (32/21) will oversteer a good amount more than stock (28/15), that the BMR bars were designed for a V8 (which started out with 30/19), and that I don't know how the Eibach springs will affect things. It's a package deal. One thing I do know, stronger springs give more antiroll and actually your stock bars may be OK. You didn't say anything about endlinks. Gets some good ones (1LE or aftermarket)in any event.

My best advice is: Talk to the Eibach people about shocks and bars for your car. I presume the springs are V6 springs, so they'll know that's what you have. They have experience with what goes with their stuff and they know a ton more than I do.

Best I can do, honest. There's a reason why race teams do a lot of testing, you just can't figure out on paper what a particular combination would do. I put 32/21s on my car and that was a mistake for me.

In any event, I'd put on the bars last, one at a time. I'd try a bigger front first (with the springs you may be very happy with just that setup), then add a bigger rear if you want less understeer. Install the same endlinks on both ends at the same time or you may get very peculiar results.

If you want an amateur's guess, I'd be happier with a 35mm front on a 21mm rear, or, a 19mm rear on a 32mm front.

OK, I've dumped my brain on this one. Hope that helps.

EDIT - I keep forgetting this. Plan to change wheels and/or tires real soon? Do that first.

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: V6Bob ]</p>
      2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

Spring rates are listed in the Technical Database, suspension section.

A 32/21 will make the car oversteer, I know I have it.

As for the LCA and PHR, what you must have is high durometer bushings. That BMR has, along with others, but it will also not allow the suspension to move properly for the street. Tubular or boxed LCA and PHR are good for drag racing, but can cause suspension bind on the street. So replace the bushings with ES or Prothane, or get the 1LE parts from GM. The details on the 1LE parts is also in the Technical Database.
        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Robert - Why would the BMR Panhard bind? I'm interested - I have it. Also, you say 32/21 oversteers on your car. What springs do you have?

I looked up the Eibach springs. Since they're progressive (big-time) I'm even less sure. It kinda looks like the fronts increase more than the rear, so maybe the 32/21 bars would work with them.

As I said, it's tough to do this on paper.

2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by V6Bob:
            Robert - Why would the BMR Panhard bind? I'm interested - I have it.
            <hr></blockquote>

The LCA and PHR are designed to twist. A tubular or boxed LCA and PHR (with solid bushings) will resist this motion. Great for flat roads, but bad for bumps. Either the arm must twist or the bushing. The stock arm will twist, and a tubular arm with spherical rod ends will too.

http://www.globalwest.net/camaro93.htm

Also see the Technical Database, suspension section for this Link.

http://www.geocities.com/acarnut99/bushings.htm

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>
            Also, you say 32/21 oversteers on your car. What springs do you have?
            <hr></blockquote>

96 stock - 223 and 95 lbs/in. I will be installing 292 and 114 this spring.

I looked up the Eibach springs. Since they're progressive (big-time) I'm even less sure. It kinda looks like the fronts increase more than the rear, so maybe the 32/21 bars would work with them.
            <hr></blockquote>

I agree, on paper.

As I said, it's tough to do this on paper.
            <hr></blockquote>

Agreed.

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: FirebirdGT ]</p>

Raven

Comment

Robert - I understand how the lcas (or their bushings) need to twist a significant amount on a one-wheel bump. But isn't the twist in the Panhard (caused by the axle moving in a very slight arc up and down) so minimal as to not cause bind?

Global West, which makes a big deal out of this for lcas (recommending poly be used for Drag Only) seems unconcerned about it for Panhards (no such restriction on their poly bushing Panhard).

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by V6Bob:
                Robert - I understand how the lcas (or their bushings) need to twist a significant amount on a one-wheel bump. But isn't the twist in the Panhard (caused by the axle moving in a very slight arc up and down) so minimal as to not cause bind?

Global West, which makes a big deal out of this for lcas (recommending poly be used for Drag Only) seems unconcerned about it for Panhards (no such restriction on their poly bushing Panhard).

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: V6Bob ]
                <hr></blockquote>

Yes the resistance would be less, but you are still increasing the twisting load on the PHR attachment point.

Bottom line is the 1LE LCA and PHR with their high durometer rubber bushings, or the stock metal parts with either ES or Prothane poly bushings are, I believe, the optimum for a street car.

Raven

Comment

So do you dislike the amount of oversteer the 1LE 32/21mm bars give you?

The Eibach antisway kit sold alongside their springs is a 32mm/21mm kit (only its highly priced) so thats what they will recommend to you as an upgrade on sway bars.

Are the 1LE bars unsafe?
                  2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                  Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TheCardinal:
                    So do you dislike the amount of oversteer the 1LE 32/21mm bars give you?<hr></blockquote>

No, I'm use to it. The car is "twichy".

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>The Eibach antisway kit sold alongside their springs is a 32mm/21mm kit (only its highly priced) so thats what they will recommend to you as an upgrade on sway bars.<hr></blockquote>

This should be fine. They probably selected the spring rates to compensate.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Are the 1LE bars unsafe?<hr></blockquote>

No. Remember that the suspension is a "system". You just can't throw parts on.

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X