Power steering fluid... when to change? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power steering fluid... when to change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering fluid... when to change?

Help me, guys! I feel stupid for asking this question, but when does the power steering fluid need to be flushed? Is it every 20 K miles or 30 K miles or what? The owner's manual doesn't mention it at all!

Thanks.
    2001 white Firebird (completely stock)<br /><br />2003 Civic LX sedan for my daily commute. 115 hp (Yes, pathetic, but gets me 36 mpg!)

Well, I am a bit compulsive about these things and I change mine every year or 20,000 miles which ever comes first. Some folks never change it and get by.

I can tell you this, in my Aerostar the power steering pump was making a horrible noise at about 40,000 miles. Took it to two different dealers and both said the same thing -- must replace the pump and possibly the steering rack. I flushed the steering system with new fluid. The noise disappeared. After 122,000 miles I have the same pump and rack.
    2001 Camaro M5 Coupe(1 of 2,737), no options, Whisper Lid, K&N Air Filter, Free Ram Air, MAFS Screen removed, SLP Manual Fan Switch, 160 thermo, DEE\'s T/B Spacer, EGR Block-off plate, IAT resistor, CAI to EGR air feed, B&M Ripper Shifter, SLP Replacement Grill, T/A Exhaust, SLP five spoke take-off wheels, BMR strut-tower brace, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR 32/21 front & rear sway bars with poly, BMR Poly/Combo Rear Control Arms, Clear front & rear corners, HPP3 modified 87 Octane program.<p><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/red2k1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/red2k1</a>

Comment

hmm.. haynes doesnt seem to mention any particular interval. but since its similar to automatic transmission fluid (its used as a hydraulic fluid, for cooling and lubrication) treat it as transmission fluid. every 30k miles.

Comment

I've never had a problem with it going bad, but when you do the 30K tuneup it might be a good idea to check it. So long that the fluid is topped off and stays in good looking condition I don't see why it would need changing for 60-100K. The main thing is keeping it topped off.
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
          New Owner!
          by LETZRIDE
          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
          3 days ago
        • ssms5411
          Little work today
          by ssms5411
          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
          2 weeks ago
        • LETZRIDE
          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X