Does anyone elses car make lot's of noise? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone elses car make lot's of noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone elses car make lot's of noise?

It seems like everytime i add a handling mod that makes the chassis more rigid it also makes the car more noisy when it hits pots holes and uneven road that is less prominent than pot holes. It sounds like the car just goes thud thud thud when I hit road like that. I've heard the more you stiffen up the suspension and the chassis the worse it gets. Is anyone else experiencing this too?

It's also getting pretty touchy to drive, I can't move the wheel even a little bit without the car moving. It make me nervous on the freeway when closely next to cars on uneven road.

Is this a byproduct of better handling? Do I just need to get used to it? Or is something wrong. Does GM purposely make their chassis flex to fight this, because it sure looks like they were designed to flex quite a bit.

i'm having the same problems 10sec.. with all the suspension mods my car is so noisey.everytime i turn or go up a slight incline my car creaks and makes that thud sounds. speed bumps are the worst. this all started happened after i put on my sub frame connectors. now on the 1/4, they are the best, but overall i'm not impressed with them. i'm going to give bmr a call tommorow to see how i can fix this..
    97 CAMARO RS<br />12.9@103mph<br />best 60ft..1.9 ( on street tires)<br /> 1.7 (on gas)<br />turbo supra 12.5@119mph (street tires)<br />new times to come sporting the sp63gt

Comment

Anytime you change out a rubber bushing for something else, you can expect an increase in noise. There's a reason GM uses soft rubber there. Aftermarket panhards, lcas, swaybars, transmission mounts, shifters, etc. all have stiffer bushings.

I'm not sure why adding metal bracing to the metal chassis(sfcs, stb) would increase noise. In the long run, it should be a win because it will lessen squeaks.

"Touchy" handling can be from the changed bushings. In a race car with stiff chassis and bushings stock, it's a sign that you have gone too far in stiffness with springs, shocks, or sway bars. You can go too stiff even on a street car, particular if you have very stiff springs and big sway bars. I've seen people say that stiff springs need big sway bars. Actually, stiff springs reduce the need for big sway bars, since both contribute to roll stiffness.
      2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 10SecDream:
        [QB]It seems like everytime i add a handling mod that makes the chassis more rigid it also makes the car more noisy when it hits pots holes and uneven road that is less prominent than pot holes. It sounds like the car just goes thud thud thud when I hit road like that. I've heard the more you stiffen up the suspension and the chassis the worse it gets. Is anyone else experiencing this too?

QB]<hr></blockquote>

All i added was lowering springs and i hear A LOT of squeaks exactly like what you were describing. Uneven roads,pot holes,speed bumps..i HATE THEM! I also get a kinda rumbling/rattling noise in my left Fender well on those uneven streets. None of these were happenin w/ the stock springs.Is it normal? Or is it also necesary to upgrade the shocks as well? thanks for the input..
        2003 Fire Red Dakota R/T 5.9<p>V-Force Exhaust<br />Custom Cold Air Intake

Comment

i dunno, i begining to hate my camaro. it handles like crap, big and bulky etc.. wish i had money for a wrx..
          97 CAMARO RS<br />12.9@103mph<br />best 60ft..1.9 ( on street tires)<br /> 1.7 (on gas)<br />turbo supra 12.5@119mph (street tires)<br />new times to come sporting the sp63gt

Comment

If you dont want it mike, I'll take it...
            2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
            Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

At least I'm not alone, and I'm happy that everyone is experiencing these problems. I'm going to buy every size sway bar there is and use them for testing, but I am still going to stiffen the chassis even more, so I guess such is life.

Can't wait to get this baby on an autocross course. :D

Comment

"I'm going to buy every size sway bar there is and use them for testing"

Great idea. After you get the balance right for autocross, you might want to swap in a smaller rear for the street. The optimal setting for autocross will likely have more oversteer than you'd want for normal driving. Too little tolerance for different (slippery) road situations and (gasp!) mistakes.
                2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X