Decarbon shocks, KYB, Koni, Hal.....which one's for Eibach pro kit? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decarbon shocks, KYB, Koni, Hal.....which one's for Eibach pro kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decarbon shocks, KYB, Koni, Hal.....which one's for Eibach pro kit?

I have been thinking about changing my shocks/springs on all 4 corners and do a lower kit while I'm at it. The question I get snagged up on is what shock to choose. There are a few choices....

1. Decarbon take off's (ebay $80 for 4)
    2. KYB AGX adjustable ($320@tirerack.com)
    3. SLP Bilstiens ($399 SLP's site)
    4. Real Bilstiens ($499 Thunderracing.com)
    5. HAL adjustable ($700+ everywhere)

Now......is there such a big deal with adjustable shocks and lowrering springs? Can you use regular sears roadhandler shocks/struts with drop springs? Would the DeCarbon's be enough for a lowering kit, or you have to spend $300 for shocks all around? Can you use cheap shocks in the back and just get good front ones? My car has like 200lbs of stereo stuff in the back, so to buy adjustable shocks doesn't seem justifiable for the back.

I think this is a question on some v6'ers minds. What shocks to get. I know lots got stereo's too, which makes it hard to buy $150 in shocks when you probably won't notice the difference anyways because of the added weight. I am just curious though as to what setup to get. Cheap shocks all the way around, good shocks up front and crappy in the rear, or good all around) with eibach pro kit springs. This is a 1994 camaro I am talking about. I do NOT plan on racing autocross at all, or drag racing or anything, just more for looks/show. I do drive everyday though so I would want a semi-decent ride quality.

Please let me know what ya think,
    Chris

I run with H&R and shocks from a 2000 SS. I love the setup...they handle awesome together. Here's my take on the situation. If I had my pick, I would get the Hal's. These shocks are absolutely awesome. Rob Raymer at LS1 motorports has removed his front sway bar and set the shock stiffness to 12 and has almost no body roll. A little modification has to be done to the spring seat to get an aftermarket spring to work, but you can get the springs from them with the linear rates (for the rear) at whatever rate, and progressive rate (for the front) at whatever rate. If you budget can handle this, it's definitely the way to go.

The KYB and KONI adjustables are very similar...except for the fact that the KONI's carry a much larger price tag. When I was researching this topic, everyone said that you should go ahead and get the KYB adjustables because they are the same thing with a lower price.

I hope this helps.....
    - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by spunger:
      My car has like 200lbs of stereo stuff in the back, so to buy adjustable shocks doesn't seem justifiable for the back. <hr></blockquote>

FYI, the adjustables set on a very high setting would greatly help this added weight when it comes to body roll.
      - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

you might want to try shox.com they had a better price than autozone on the regular bilstein HD's. The bilstiens on the SLP site are designed for a lowered car. I have heard grumblings over ad CZ28.com about using regular bilsteins with a lowered car. You might want to check out their handling section and do a search. Oah and about the link above they will give you a rundown on all they different shocks and other suspension goodies they have available for your car. You e-mail them and they give you a price quote.
        -Brad
        98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
        2000 V-Star Custom 1100
        If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
        :rock:

Comment

The guy who can give you the best advice (by a whole lot) is the spring manufacturer. They'll know what works.
          2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

I had a bad experience with kyb shocks. In conjunction with ground control coil overs they wore out extremely fast. I am now running Decarbons and like them pretty good.
            Hot Cammed LT1 Sleeper

Comment

Adjustables offer the most flexibility, but at a cost in dollars. The Hal's are the choice if you are a drag racer, the Koni's if you are an Autocrosser. If you choose non-adjustable ones, you need to get ones valved to match to the springs and weight of the car. Of the non-adjustables, I'd say the Bilstein's are best quality.

BobC

PS: the z28 take offs are $50 per set of 4 at SLP. From your requirements, I'd say get these and don't get stiff springs...

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: BobC ]</p>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X