No announcement yet.

How to replace Ball Joints?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe this will help the tie rod is not shown on this pic it will connect to the long black thing, referred to as the steering knuckle. There are other names for it. On some vehicles it is also called the spindle assembly. Since there is no spindle here i called it the steering knuckle. Yes to separate the tie rod end from the knuckle a pickle fork (tie rod end tool) makes life much easier. The ball joint connects the steering knuckle to the upper and lower A-arms and gives the assembly more range of motion

I apologize for the look, as you can tell I'm not much when it comes to photoshop..

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: black98V6 ]</p>
    -Brad
    98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
    2000 V-Star Custom 1100
    If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
    :rock:

Comment

Awesome! Thanks a ton for the help once again Brad.

I had a feeling those were the ball joints.

So where are the upper/lower control arms? Are those the A-Arms?
      Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

yeppers.. the big red arms are referred to as a- arms or control arms.. same thing..
        -Brad
        2000 V-Star Custom 1100

Comment

So the dealer is the only place to get quality ball joints? How much at the dealer? I just need upper ones for now. I'll check the parts store also. Does it really matter if I get it from the dealer or parts store? I'm not aware of quality differences so I'm just wondering.

Comment

ehh just go to napa and get em.. I'm sure if you do some looking you might find some "high performance" ball joints but I am a little skeptic about something like that..
            -Brad
            2000 V-Star Custom 1100

Comment

As long as they work I don't care. I was just making sure there is no crappy ones out there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X