Y87 Breakdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y87 Breakdown

Oh, how I wish I looked at a Firebird with the Y87 package on it. OH well. Now I gotta waste money on it. Can someone give me a breakdown of the changed components and the prices for each? I really want that LSD but I have no clue about costs. Whoever does the breakdown and gives prices gets a [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] ;)
    2002 NBM Firehawk #312 | <a href=\"http://hawk.visionsconnect.com\" target=\"_blank\">hawk.visionsconnect.com</a>

Limited Slip Differential [Zexel-Torsen]
    $99.00 from SLP
    3.42 Gears for 3 Series Carrier $199-299
    Get RICHMOND GEARS [best]
    Gear Installation Kit $45-140
    Summit Racing, Jegs
    Reluctor Wheel for ABS $28.00 from SLP

Installation of above - ???
    Max Shapiro<br />97 Camaro RS<br />-Bright Green Metallic<br />-Tan Leather, T-Tops<br />-3.08\'s, open diff., Automatic 4<br />-Home-Made Cold Air Assembly, Tanza filter<br />-DynoMax Super Turbo Rear Section (2.5\'\')<br />-Hooker (21433) 2.5\'\'in/Dual 3\'\'out Chrome Slash Cut Tips<br />-PolyUrethane Bushings & Endlinks for Front+Rear Sway Bars<br />-Mobil-1 Synthetic 10W-30, 5W-30<br />-Premium Sound System(6 spkrs)<br />-Monsoon 500w CD Head Unit<br />-Firehawks SS20 235.55.R16<p>Awaiting in my garage:<br />3.73s,Zexel Torsen take-off LSD,LS1 Rear Brakes,SLP CAI,3\'\' exhaust piping and 14 SECOND TIME SLIPS!!!

Comment

Ok, I don't know all the prices, but here is the breakdown:

LSD: Parts: $100 (SLP) Labor: $200-400 depending on shop
      3.42 Gears (auto only): Parts: $289.99 (Tbyrne) Labor: install with LSD
      14.4:1 Power steering ratio: no idea of cost. I believe you need the whole steering column.
      Dual exhaust: Go aftermarket. The stock one barely makes a noise and has the "noodle" tips.
      235/55R16 Tires: Not worth upgrading to. They suck (Goodyear GA's)
      4 wheel discs: No clue.

The best way to get the rear discs, 3.42 gears, and LSD is to find a TA or SS (in junkyard or wrecked online) and pull the whole rear axle. It should be a lot less than trying to buy everything separate and the install wouldn't be too bad.

Chris
      <b>2002 BSM TransAm WS.6 M6</b><br /><b>350rwhp, 365rwtq</b><br /><b>Stock:</b>13.455 @ 105.39 2.129 60\'<br /><b>Mod:</b>12.449 @ 113 1.832 60\'<br /><br /><b>2004 QSM GTO M6</b><br /><b>303rwhp, 329rwtq</b><br />Stock: 13.74 @ 102.14 2.1 60\'<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/silvertaws6\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/silvertaws6</a> <br /><br /><b>1984 Firebird S/E M5</b><br />2.8L

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. :D Yeah, I should go junk-yard shopping. Would save me some major dough. I just want some better handling/breaking for the winter :(
        2002 NBM Firehawk #312 | <a href=\"http://hawk.visionsconnect.com\" target=\"_blank\">hawk.visionsconnect.com</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SilverTAWS6:

14.4:1 Power steering ratio: no idea of cost. I believe you need the whole steering column.
          <hr></blockquote>

No you need the steering rack not really worth the trouble or expense thow you could get one from a Z or T/A but it only makes the wheel turn 1/4 less.
          2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

Doh! I meant whole rack, not whole column. And I agree, it would be too much money for the trouble (unless you could get it from a wrecked one for really cheap).

Chris
            <b>2002 BSM TransAm WS.6 M6</b><br /><b>350rwhp, 365rwtq</b><br /><b>Stock:</b>13.455 @ 105.39 2.129 60\'<br /><b>Mod:</b>12.449 @ 113 1.832 60\'<br /><br /><b>2004 QSM GTO M6</b><br /><b>303rwhp, 329rwtq</b><br />Stock: 13.74 @ 102.14 2.1 60\'<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/silvertaws6\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/silvertaws6</a> <br /><br /><b>1984 Firebird S/E M5</b><br />2.8L

Comment

SilverTAWS6, you said the 235 tire with Y87 sucks, well i have y87 and my tires are kinda worn out, and I am looking for replacements, with low price a factor since I am a college student [img]smile.gif[/img] any suggestions?
              \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by lostatlantis:
                SilverTAWS6, you said the 235 tire with Y87 sucks, well i have y87 and my tires are kinda worn out, and I am looking for replacements, with low price a factor since I am a college student [img]smile.gif[/img] any suggestions?<hr></blockquote>

245/50/16's Look good and handle well. Nice and wide but not to wide :D
                97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

245s.. so they should be wider than my current 235s right?? I know nothing about tires, sorry [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>SilverTAWS6, you said the 235 tire with Y87 sucks, well i have y87 and my tires are kinda worn out, and I am looking for replacements, with low price a factor since I am a college student any suggestions? <hr></blockquote>

Khumo!!!
                    1998 Sport Gold Metallic Camaro 3.8

Comment

Yes.. 245's are 10MM wider than a 235.. There look MUCH better, and they feel MUCH better.. More traction is a good thing also.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      2001 Cobalt Blue Hyundai Tiburon<br />Mods? Hehe.. Ofcourse.. ;)<br />15.810 @ 87.25 NEW TIME AGAIN!<br />TSR-0118 (www.TeamSR.org)<br />FORMER 1997 W68 Black Convertable Firebird Owner<br />14.723@95.65<p><br />V.P. of the 3:00 AM club.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by lostatlantis:
                        245s.. so they should be wider than my current 235s right?? I know nothing about tires, sorry [img]smile.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

Kumho Supra 712's, go to tirerack.com
                        and look these up. They are priced very reasonably and have a very aggressive tread design, they are also some of the best tires I have seen for wet performance. I went with 255/45/17 and others have gone much wider (275) but this is on 17"+ rims. I don't think you can go over 255 with your 16's. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                        2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

I'm also looking for tires for my car. I'm not to sure about the Khumos, I haven't heard much about them. I have heard a lot of good things about the Firestone Firehawks or G-force TA on Tirerack.com in 245/50/R16, I'm a college student but am willing to spend the extra cash for tires that don't make me deaf as they wear out.. Also, for a rearend at a junkyard, you are going to be running about $600 and if you get one from a z28 or TA, it needs to be a six speed to have 3.42s, the best way to check is the factory codes on the door. The stock Y87 M5 comes with 3.23s
                          1996 Silver Camaro, Y87, M5, cammed..<br />N/A Best Time: 14.012 @ 98.59<br />195 rwhp / 233 ft-lbs b/f heads/cam<br />Check out my site <a href=\"http://silver3800.cz28.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://silver3800.cz28.com/</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MaxBrightGreen97RS:
                            Reluctor Wheel for ABS $28.00 from SLP<hr></blockquote>

What do you need that for?
                            --<b>David</b>--<br /><a href=\"http://bryant2.bryant.edu/~dsantore/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">The <b>NEW</b> V6Bird Website!</a> <br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/thev6bird\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain site</a><br />ΔX

Comment

John D., how come you have 17in wheels? are stock firebirds 16, even the Y87 ones?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                1 day ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X