What do I need for rear disks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I need for rear disks?

There is some guy selling his rotors and calipers from 01SS. What else would I need? I don't care about the e-break.

You can't do it. It is a different rear-end.
    <b>LS1 RX7! </b> &#0124;&#0124; <a href=\"http://www.no-bling.com/image_galleries/index.php?action=viewgallery&gallery=galleries/eyeoutthere_LS1_FC\" target=\"_blank\">Full Gallery</a> <br /><br />LT1 Header Informtion/survey

Comment

Heh. Anyway. Anyone else?

Dom
      01 SS A4

[ March 11, 2002: Message edited by: Dom ]</p>

Comment

Dom, you'd also need the mounting hardware. The big bulky piece that bolts to the plate I believe. Thats the part that the caliper bolts onto.
        Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

I got to look at some car with disks. Nobody seems to know or realize it's the same rear end on all the cars. I swear it's just rotors and calipers. Maybe the backing plate? I can probably pick that up at the parts store for cheaper then those crackwhores are speedauto sell the magical "conversion" kit.

Dom
          01 SS

[ March 11, 2002: Message edited by: Dom ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dom:
            Nobody seems to know or realize it's the same rear end on all the cars.<hr></blockquote>

Agreed...

Except for the fact that in 96/97 they changed the diameter of hub (The part that the wheel goes over)... which is why 97+ wheels don't fit on 96- cars without sanding.
            Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

Oh man. I should have known this when I got my 01 SS. Now I can borrow your nittos with no problems.

Comment

There are different backing plates for 93-97 and 98+. Atleast there are different part numbers. I would assume that they all mount to the axle the same, and the differences are to mount the new calipers.

The prices I have found for the 98+ are $89.22 at the dealership, and $53.53 through GMPD. The 93-97 are $40.76 at dealership, $24.46 GMPD. And that is per side for all prices. There are also different numbers for with and without traction control.

Not cheap, but I am not sure what the cost for the kits is from salvage yards. I do know that when I priced out buying new components to convert to the 93-97 discs, from drums, the cost was far beyond that of buying a complete rear end used.

[ March 11, 2002: Message edited by: Backfire ]</p>

Comment

Yes 98 got different brakes. So different backing plates. As long as I buy everything from the same era I'm fine. I don't plan on buying new parts. Total waste of money. I'll keep looking for people trying to sell theirs.

Dom
                  Every part on car from different year

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                    New Owner!
                    by LETZRIDE
                    I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                    3 days ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Little work today
                    by ssms5411
                    Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • LETZRIDE
                    Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                    by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                    Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                    By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                    Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                    02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X