V8 Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Springs

I installed a set of V8 springs today. I purchased them used, localy, off of a 2002 Z28 for $25. Install was uneventful, but I was suprised after a quick drive to let everything settle, that the ride height actually dropped about .75in in the front. I can't give any accurate numbers on the rear though, because I didn't think to get measurements until after the rear swap. I noticed the biggest performance difference under braking, there is no where near as much brake dive as befor and it feels much more stable.

The part numbers were not the same as listed in the Technical Database. The fronts had number 22197228, and the rears were 10305134. Neither seem to show up on GMPartsDirect, but I may head down to the dealership parts department tomorrow to verify that number.

For anyone interested in actual numbers, I measured the height of the wheel well at a point directly above the center of the wheel. The passenger side front is 28.00", and the driver side front is 28.25". The passenger and driver side rear heights are 28.5" and 29.00" respectively. And this is on a 1994 3.4L A4, so results on differently equiped cars may vary.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Backfire:
    The part numbers were not the same as listed in the Technical Database. The fronts had number 22197228, and the rears were 10305134. Neither seem to show up on GMPartsDirect, but I may head down to the dealership parts department tomorrow to verify that number.<hr></blockquote>

The numbers in the TB are the general replacement numbers. There are dozens of part numbers for the same spring as they come from the factory. I assume that the factory P/N tags were still on the springs, which is how you got the numbers. Is there a tag with a two letter code also? That would provide additional info.
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I had to make a quick stop at 90mph the other day. I think my front end dipped maybe 1-2inches at most. Nothing like before where the front wanted to grab the ground. During regular stops it's always flat. I think that breaking was improved. I feel so much safer driving now. The V6 suspension was plain ridiculous.

1LE spings/shocks/sway bars

Comment

How much did the springs/shocks cost you Dom?
        2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

hey dom did your springs lower the car any?
          1997 red 3.8 M5-Daily Driver<br />I/E, Magnaflow cat... <br /><br />1990 Talon TSI AWD-Weekend Warrier<br />Forged internals, Front Mount, SS valves, crower springs, -still under construction. Best stock E.T. 14.3@92--&gt;missing 4th doh!!

Comment

Front shocks I got from friend for $120. $104 for rears from gm parts. Springs $167.70 from gm parts. The shocks are the same that came on 94 1LEs. The stiffer Decarbons. Not Konis.

Comment

1LE fronts are 36.5cm vs stock V6 40.5cm. From memory. They are much stiffer so the ride is basically the same if not even higher a bit. I didn't measure the ride height. I'll have Keith over my house today so I'll measure both our cars.

Comment

Hey backfire, that sounds like a good deal, because i was interested in buying some new springs and i would love to get the whole set of v8 takeoffs from slp for 50 bucks but i really don't want to raise the car up at all, so if i were to get v8 takeoffs all around my car the ride hight should be lowered or stay the same?
                1997 Firebird Convertable White, with custom Purple pin striping and custom Purple detailing!!!<br />Y87 Performance Package W68 Apperance Package<br />Boydes, aluminum rims 16\" BMR STB <br />SLP Cold Air Intake 3\"hiflow cat 3\" dynomax custom catback, 2.5\" Flowmaster 80. Slp Take off Shocks, Springs And Struts. Transgo shift kit with corvette servo!<br />Sony Explode CD Player Kicker Comp VR 12, and Explode 760Watt amp!!!<br />5% Tint on the side windows, Correction officially 2% on the side windows, or at least that is what the highpo said and 15% on my rear window<br />Yup Purdy Car!!

Comment

From my measurements, the front dropped. I didn't have before mearurements for the rear so I can't say. It isn't a noticable drop on either end, if that is what you are looking for. If I didn't tell someone, I don't think they would know I switched springs just from looking at it. I bought the springs from a guy who put the SLP/Eibach setup on his Z. His looked lowered, mine still looks stock. I would say it is a good swap if you are interested in firming up the suspension with little change in ride height.

Oh, and if you are going to swap springs and shocks, do it at the same time. I was planning on doing just the shocks as more of a maintenance replacement and then decided to do the springs two weeks later. After using the spring compressor again, my arms are wishing I had planned ahead! &lt;Goes to get fresh ice pack for elbow&gt; [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]

Comment

Sweet thanks backfire I think that is what i am going to do my car just turned over 60000 miles yesterday :mad: and i might as well get some new shocks while im at it, cuz i can get the springs and shocks from the v8 for like 100 bucks total, which is really cheep and that should make my suspension better. Thanks for all the help!!! :D
                    1997 Firebird Convertable White, with custom Purple pin striping and custom Purple detailing!!!<br />Y87 Performance Package W68 Apperance Package<br />Boydes, aluminum rims 16\" BMR STB <br />SLP Cold Air Intake 3\"hiflow cat 3\" dynomax custom catback, 2.5\" Flowmaster 80. Slp Take off Shocks, Springs And Struts. Transgo shift kit with corvette servo!<br />Sony Explode CD Player Kicker Comp VR 12, and Explode 760Watt amp!!!<br />5% Tint on the side windows, Correction officially 2% on the side windows, or at least that is what the highpo said and 15% on my rear window<br />Yup Purdy Car!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X