V6 Camaro/Firebird with Hotchkis or SLP Level II springs - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V6 Camaro/Firebird with Hotchkis or SLP Level II springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 Camaro/Firebird with Hotchkis or SLP Level II springs

Hi,

i have a question about a common subject about springs, it maybe asked several times, but i am living in the Netherlands (Europe), so i must be sure for i order them, i can't send them back if i don't like them.

Is there someone having the Hotchkis springs (springrate 285-525 and 100-140) or SLP Level II (springrate 300-450 and 115-185) on a 3.8V6 Camaro or Firebird.

I know the Hotchkis springs should be a drop of 1", and the SLP Level II a drop of 0.5", but this measured on a V8.

Is it possible to measure the height between the fender and ground (see pictures), see pictures, thanks for the effort.

Re: V6 Camaro/Firebird with Hotchkis or SLP Level II springs

V6 and V8 weigh about the same. The difference should be minimal.
    In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
    2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Is the reason you are going to a higher-rate spring package to improve handling or to improve appearance?

Comment

a little bit of both, particular the backside should be a little lower.
        when i drive of a speedbump, i want the front springs a little bit stiffer (even with the Koni SA allready on the car).

Comment

Both those aftermarket vendors use variable rate rear springs, a lower rate version of which is stock.

Variable rate springs are a compromise.

They are good because they make the car ride nice when a light load is in the back but they also increase their rate as they compress so, the few times you have full fuel and a cargo area full of travel luggage or the rear sets full of kids, the car won't ride on the bump stops.

They are bad for handing because as the spring works, the rate is constantly changing. In aggressive driving situations, especially when you're nearing the limit, the fluctuating spring rate can make the car harder to drive fast.

I started my 4Gen suspension project with a set of Eibach variable rate rear springs but as I further developed my chassis tuning, I got frustrated with the variable rates and replaced them with a set of Global West constant rate rear springs.

I prefer the way my car handles with them and the ride really isn't that bad.

Comment

i changed the stock springs with the SLP LEVEL II springs this weekend, the springs in the rear was easy, but the front was a little more difficult.
            The rear lowered between 0,5" and 3/4" and the front lowered nothing (till now, maybe they settle more after some time), but this is fine for me, the car is nicely leveled now.

When the weather is better i will post some more pictures.

I have still one question, the rear lowered between 0,5" and 3/4", do i need a new adjustable torque arm and panhard ?, it's a 3.8V6 Camaro.

I have a read somewhere that the SS Camaro/Firehawk with the optional LEVEL II suspension package came out of the factory (SLP) with the factory panhard and torque arm (they where both non adjustable), because of the LEVEL II springs did lower so less.

Comment

You should be fine with the stock panhard bar unless you have really wide tires.

Do you drive your car at all? It is super clean underneath! Looks like you do a good job taking care of it :tup:
              aka FreedStyle
              Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
              2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
                You should be fine with the stock panhard bar unless you have really wide tires.

Do you drive your car at all? It is super clean underneath! Looks like you do a good job taking care of it :tup:
                Hi CFreed11,
                Thanks for the responce, i only drive my Camaro when the weather is good, no winters, and never in the rain, he has run about 39.000km (26.000 miles).
                The tires are 245/50/ZR16

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X