No traction with 275/40/17's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No traction with 275/40/17's

So my car has a new motor and almost full bolt ons. It has the 4L60E with the open diff 3.42's. If I step on it from a stop I get wheelspin, and I was driving in the rain at 50 MPH and jumped on it, and the car went sideways......

No traction with 275/40/17's

What tires are you running?

Also, a limited slip differential would help with traction. Kind of pointless to have freed up some power with bolt-ons but not have a good way to put it down.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Re: No traction with 275/40/17's

Also suspension setup changes things. But LSD is a must.

Comment

Sounds like cheap tires...My Nitto's grip like no other..
        aka FreedStyle
        Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
        2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Jumping on it at 50...

In the rain...

I'll spin the tires in my car at low to moderate speeds. Downshift under acceleration at speed in the wet with sport tires?

I've got 275s as well, just FYI. Kumho Ecstas. If you're running Sumitomo or some cheap tire, it's gonna be worse for your.

Comment

get a LSD (not the drug), do a lil rear suspension work, and some tires. I can only spin my nitto 555 at a stop when I launch around 2200. It will spin for about 10-15ft then the tires will catch up.
            Any cars tire will spin in the rain lol
            Wanna have an interesting drive in the rain? Try driving with MT ET Streets in the rain.

Comment

Well these are Falken's not sure how good those are supposed to be? They were the only correct size that the discount tire had in my near surroundings. He tried to sell them to me, but I've never used them before so I had to ask because I am not familiar with them. The only rear suspension work I have done this far is Poly bushings all in the rear, and a huge rear sway bar.

And yeah I know at low speeds it slips in the rain, but I have been in cars with twice the power in the rain and at 50 they will hook and go. I know it seems stupid but I am really trying to eliminate variables.

Comment

I ran Falken Ziex ZE512s. They were okay tires. They weren't exactly super grippy and I could lose traction at low speeds. You have to be smart about throttle input in conditions that aren't nominal for traction.

Do you have a larger front swaybar or are you running just a big rear bar? If you're running the latter, get that fixed pronto or you're going to regret it if you have to make an evasive lane change.

Comment

My P275/40ZR17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 are fine.

Ditto on the rear bar size - have 35mm F and 19mm R.

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

two problems, you went to discount tire and second you got falken tires. lol

But yea LSD like others have suggested and which falken tire did they sell you? I know discount likes to sell some cheap directional summer tires that have no purpose being on an all season car around here.
                    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

get some hankooks or nittos as well as an LSD and problems will be solved.

you'd probably just solve them with an lsd

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I've got Falken 912's (cheaper version of 512's, and non-directional) and I've got no complaints..
                        28k on 'em so far. Plenty of traction where i need it, and can handle better than alot of cars. But I'll probably get new ones before winter hits hard. Looking at Michelin Pilot Sports.

Comment

I'm sure that the "huge" rear sway bar is not helping matters.

Comment

I really have trouble hooking up at times... Open diff, but I have lca/brackets installed and am running the bfg sport comp 2.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X