Back end jumps sideways over bumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back end jumps sideways over bumps

I'm going to try to describe this the best that I can. When going in a straight line, if I hit a bump, it feels like the back end will want to jump to one side, I think more towards the right. It's a tiny bit unsettling at highway speeds over bridges and the likes.

I have new shocks all the way around, and new rear sway bar endlinks. The rest is stock and I'm around 83k miles. LCA bushings are suspect but they feel solid every time I'm under the car. Could the panhard bar somehow be misaligned or binding somehow? I'm just fishing now.. help?

TEAM C6V6

Re: Back end jumps sideways over bumps

Yes I would check the panhard bar to see how it is. Next you already said it, LCA's.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Someone here at work mentioned that worn springs could be possibly causing this as well. Have any supporting info on that?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

How old are the springs? Are they sagging at all?
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

it could be both of those check if the springs aren't sagging or were put in wrong when they put new shocks for the pa bar check the bushings

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            How old are the springs? Are they sagging at all?
            They're around 80k miles. They don't look like they're sagging at all, I was running on them for awhile with worn shocks though so they could be do for a change.

Originally posted by FIREBIRDV6RAGE View Post
            it could be both of those check if the springs aren't sagging or were put in wrong when they put new shocks for the pa bar check the bushings
            I didn't touch the springs when I put the shocks in, I did double check them when I was done though. I did check all my bushings, they seem pretty solid to me. I don't like suspension work, problems aren't as obvious as an engine.

I have some used tubular LCA that I'm gonna throw in there and see what happens. I know the bushings on those are good so I can at least eliminate one possibility.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Doesn't sound like the springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                They're around 80k miles. They don't look like they're sagging at all, I was running on them for awhile with worn shocks though so they could be do for a change.

I didn't touch the springs when I put the shocks in, I did double check them when I was done though. I did check all my bushings, they seem pretty solid to me. I don't like suspension work, problems aren't as obvious as an engine.

I have some used tubular LCA that I'm gonna throw in there and see what happens. I know the bushings on those are good so I can at least eliminate one possibility.
                oh right the rear has them seperated i was thinking about the front suspention sorry about that haha

Comment

Doubtful it's the springs. My car did this some with decrapon shocks while going around a bumpy corner. I put in some new shocks and Moog LCA bushings (and boxed my LCA's) and haven't really noticed it anymore. Panhard bar could be suspect also, bad bushings maybe?
                  auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
                  15.11@91.14
                  Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

I've had this issue for a bit, especially in corners. I put in new shocks (gr2) a year and a half ago when I swapped the rear. Did endlinks too. I've got new bushings in the lca's and panhard waiting to go back on. How high should the car sit (tire - fender) when checking for spring sagging?
                    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Maybe the gr2 are a little too stiff, because that's what I put in there as well.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

My car did that a little bit, a new torque arm bushing helped with it. I also have a new panhard rod that helped as well.

Comment

It's weird, I haven't done anything to it but I haven't noticed it too much this week. Maybe because it's getting a little warmer. I'll look it over this next oil change.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X