LCA removal help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCA removal help

I am on the process to upgrading my whole suspension. Picked up some aftermarket shocks and springs form a friends wrecked camaro SS. I got bilstein shocks for the back and KYB GR-2s in the front. The lowering springs are eibach which I already swapped because the stock SS ones he had on there would have been too strong for my V6 2000 camaro.

As I was replacing the shocks, I realized I had never replaced the control arm bushings and they are def do (since the rear bushing in the front lower control arm is know to go bad in these cars). I will prob replace the ball joints since I already got it all apart.

So I was trying to get it off. I got the spindle and shock assembly out of the way. I see 2 bolts, one towards the front and one in the back. I got the nut off the one in the front but the bolt is too big and the steering rack gets in the way to pull it out.

The one in the back is in a weird spot where I got the nut off at the bottom but I can't get the bolt off either.

Any suggestions?

Also, any recommendations as to which bushings to get? (Brand) or ball joit?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by vargasjc; 01-07-2013, 06:39 PM.

Re: LCA removal help

replace the whole subframe and A arms with aftermarket tubular pieces, seriously, some of those things are seized on the frame literally permenanly. When I swapped to tubular pieces I tried to take the K and A arms apart and they wouldnt budge. I snapped the bolts and spent 6 hours drilling out the rear most bolts. When I finally dropped the 3 pieces together as a whole, I took a torch to the bolts for the hell of it along with a 6lb sledge...still wouldnt move.

If you torch the bolts and can't get them free, be prepared to replace the whole damn thing. Otherwise maybe you can cut the arms off carefully and just replace the arms.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
      replace the whole subframe and A arms with aftermarket tubular pieces, seriously, some of those things are seized on the frame literally permenanly. When I swapped to tubular pieces I tried to take the K and A arms apart and they wouldnt budge. I snapped the bolts and spent 6 hours drilling out the rear most bolts. When I finally dropped the 3 pieces together as a whole, I took a torch to the bolts for the hell of it along with a 6lb sledge...still wouldnt move.

If you torch the bolts and can't get them free, be prepared to replace the whole damn thing. Otherwise maybe you can cut the arms off carefully and just replace the arms.
      X2 on replacing the A arms, they are a pain.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Mine are not seized together, like I said, I can actually move them, but the front one for example is hitting the steering rack since its long and can't get it out.

I thought about replacing the control arms with BMR ones. I dont really race though or anything like that, I just wanted better suspension and the control arms are not a weak point i these cars, just the bushings are.

I didn't find any used control arms anywhere around, and dont think spending $300 is really worth it. I also need my car, and I am half way there already. If I order online it will take like 3 days just to receive. Need to get it finished before friday hopefully.

Comment

Do you mean I should try to take the whole LCAs with the brackets around them, rather than just the 2 bolts holding them?

Comment

What do you mean with the brackets around them? If you can get the bolts off and the steering rack is in the way, you need to unbolt it and move it out of the way.

I took mine out with both arms attached to the Subframe. If you ubolt the subframe you better make sure that you have the motor supported by something

Comment

Thaks for your help. But after reading online people struggling to get the bolt off even when they had the whole k-member out and trying to heat it up and everything, I gave up. The bushings didn't look too bad (It just would have been nice since I already the whole front suspendion out of the way) so I just sprayed them with some lithium grease to hopefully help the rubber bushings and moved on.

Comment

I told you lol...almost any other part on these cars is fine, but the front subframe/A-arm bolts are impossible. I couldn't get mine apart after I broke the bolt, used a torch and a 6lb sledge!! I took a saw to it so I could throw it in the trash, that's how bad it was.

If you replace it in the future, just go tubular and be done, far less of a headache and you get some performance out of it.

Comment

Not to mention how much space it opens up down there. Makes it way easier to work on things.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I told you lol...almost any other part on these cars is fine, but the front subframe/A-arm bolts are impossible. I couldn't get mine apart after I broke the bolt, used a torch and a 6lb sledge!! I took a saw to it so I could throw it in the trash, that's how bad it was.

If you replace it in the future, just go tubular and be done, far less of a headache and you get some performance out of it.

Thanks! Will def keep in mind. Are the BMR ones the best made LCA for these cars? what do you have on yours?

Comment

Mines PA racing A arms and K member. I think thats right its been awhile.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X