Which Drag Radials should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Drag Radials should I get?

Just as the title says. Keep in mind my car is still mostly stock. Best run is 15.6x. I just dont want to be burning my strret tires up. I bought an extra set of 10 spoke rims.Tires I want 275-40-17. I plan on switching wheels at the drag strip or even if Im in a hurry throw the DRs on the back and drive there (220 mile round trip).
    Ive been looking at these
    MT ET Street Radial
    Nitto NT05R
    Nitto 555r
    Thats really about all Ive looked at.

Re: Which Drag Radials should I get?

If your almost stock don't bother, you'll run slower. Too much grip. Unless you are spinning like crazy now, it's gunna hurt you until you can get more mods.

Secondly, you don't want to go big with a drag radial, you want to go as small as you can and still hook. I'd be looking at 15" rims and an 8" wide tire at best if you really wanted to go that route right now. I'd then reccommend that you run 32psi in them and only drop pressure if you are spinning

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Thats way too much tire for a stock V6.

Get some UHP 275/40/17 street tires,then you don't need to change them and your car will perform all the time.

I can barely chirp my 285/35/18 Summihomo's on the street unless its wet or there is a greasy intersection.

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
        If your almost stock don't bother, you'll run slower. Too much grip. Unless you are spinning like crazy now, it's gunna hurt you until you can get more mods.

Secondly, you don't want to go big with a drag radial, you want to go as small as you can and still hook. I'd be looking at 15" rims and an 8" wide tire at best if you really wanted to go that route right now. I'd then reccommend that you run 32psi in them and only drop pressure if you are spinning
        Well I already bought 17'' rims so im not looking for 15s lol. I can spin my tires on dry pavement no problem, all day. There was a couple time this past year where it felt like I has a lil bit of wheel hop. I just hate doing durnouts and tearing my street tires up.
        Originally posted by transamtom1 View Post
        Thats way too much tire for a stock V6.

Get some UHP 275/40/17 street tires,then you don't need to change them and your car will perform all the time.

I can barely chirp my 285/35/18 Summihomo's on the street unless its wet or there is a greasy intersection.
        My mods are. shaved lid, silencer delete, ram air mod,sub frame connectors, Eaton posi, flowmaster axle back. Then hopefully here in a couple weeks Im doing pacesetter headers, high flow cat, and 3'' exhaust.

Comment

you don't chew your tires up at the track, you shouldn't be doing a burnout at the track with street tires, it's not going to help you. Therefore, you are not chewing them up anymore than you are lacing the throttle on the street.

If you go with drag radials on the 17's you will definetly be slower. If anything, sell the 17's and maybe look into better street tires if you are after performance.

Comment

you don't chew your tires up at the track, you shouldn't be doing a burnout at the track with street tires, it's not going to help you. Therefore, you are not chewing them up anymore than you are lacing the throttle on the street.

If you go with drag radials on the 17's you will definetly be slower. If anything, sell the 17's and maybe look into better street tires if you are after performance.
            Reason I do a burn out is to clean my tires of water that I may of driven through. I try to avoid the water box but you still almost always get water on the tires. Thats why I do a little burnout. If not the water will set in the groove of the tires until you take off. Leaving me spinning at the line

Comment

it shouldn't be a full burn out, there should be no smoke, at most you should have a full 1-2 rotations of the tire. You will see neglible wear on the tires from this.

what's your 60 ft at the track?

Comment

it shouldn't be a full burn out, there should be no smoke, at most you should have a full 1-2 rotations of the tire. You will see neglible wear on the tires from this.

what's your 60 ft at the track?
                I usually do a 3-4 second burnout. My youtube channel name is dereksimon07. 60' is usually 2.2x

Comment

You should have no trouble getting the 60' into the 1.8 second range on a normal radial tire. The reason you don't want a 17" rim is they are heavy. The heavy rim slows the car down. Use the stock 16x8" rims with a cheap set of tires fro the track.
                  sigpic

Comment

1.8? I don't think I could pull that off lol. As it turns out my car is sitting a little early this winter. Found antifreeze on on top of the intake in a couple small pools. Looks like ill have to fix that this winter. Also what can I clean my throttle body, intake, and valve cover covers.

Comment

Originally posted by insidethreat07 View Post
                      1.8? I don't think I could pull that off lol. As it turns out my car is sitting a little early this winter. Found antifreeze on on top of the intake in a couple small pools. Looks like ill have to fix that this winter. Also what can I clean my throttle body, intake, and valve cover covers.
                      Clean it with this, http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/apf.aspx/?zo=1907169

I dunno if you can get a 1.8 60' without really good tires...2.0 shouldn't be too hard though.

And I still say go with a 15" rim due to the tire being smaller the car will act as if it has a taller gear

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X