Abs inop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abs inop

Light came on tonight after I almost lost it around a corner, locked up all 4, had some interesting words with a cop that just so happened to be right around that corner, and now the light came on. Pedal tries to fight me if I brake from anything more than 40, but brakes don't lock up. Is it a wheel sensor, or what? I'm not sued to working on these newer cars with all the fancy sensors and whatnot... any help?

And just to add to it, I'm supposed to go on a 1000ish mile road trip in 2 days...

Re: Abs inop

That usually disappears as you keep driving and return back to normal braking.

I remember jamming my brakes hard trying not to run over this mini-dobberman. My light came on. I think after a day or so of continous driving it went away.

Comment

Hopefully it goes away like 2.8 said. You could try resetting the ECU and see if it comes back.
      Last edited by ACiFiC; 08-13-2012, 02:52 PM.
      Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
      1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
      1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
      2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

I tested it on the way home from my friend's, and the brakes didn't lock up, so I'm really not sure what is inoperable. I also heard to check fuses?

Comment

You could get it scanned and see what code its throwing.

Comment

I scanned it when I replaced fuses about a half hour ago, no codes. But that was on a really cheap scanner. Should I take it to like a dealer?

Comment

Dealer will probably want to charge you. But they will have scanners that detect voltage @ the sensors and would let you know if any aren't reading, fuses would be a good idea to check.

I'm not sure if you guys have local automotive retailers that would have a good scan tool for free.

Comment

My ABS inop light has been on since I bought my 99TA 2 years ago and who knows how long before that.

My brakes work just fine.

Comment

My neighbors shop scanned it for me, turns out it's a tight front wheel speed sensor, which I replaced with the hub less than a month ago. Warranty time.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by transamtom1 View Post
                      My ABS inop light has been on since I bought my 99TA 2 years ago and who knows how long before that.

My brakes work just fine.
                      The function of normal braking won't be affected as it's a closed hydraulic system. The panic stop situation is when they won't be working properly, which could be quite bad.

That said, my ABS INOP light came on with the ignition-on light test and went right back off, the system threw no codes, but my ABS never worked. Just functions like an older car and is less safe in a panic stop.
                      sigpic
                      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky View Post
                        The function of normal braking won't be affected as it's a closed hydraulic system. The panic stop situation is when they won't be working properly, which could be quite bad.

That said, my ABS INOP light came on with the ignition-on light test and went right back off, the system threw no codes, but my ABS never worked. Just functions like an older car and is less safe in a panic stop.
                        Threshold braking is your friend;)

Comment

Originally posted by transamtom1 View Post
                          Threshold braking is your friend;)
                          That's the spirit! In theory, a car could stop faster without ABS anyway, but the likelihood of performing a perfect stop in a panic situation is pretty slim for an average Joe.
                          sigpic
                          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                          1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky View Post
                            That's the spirit! In theory, a car could stop faster without ABS anyway, but the likelihood of performing a perfect stop in a panic situation is pretty slim for an average Joe.
                            that is so true. it is sooooooooooo much easier to brake consistantly with abs. i would turn tires into squares just trying to find that point at an autox event. i am so glad my abs works now.

Comment

So... got the new hub, drove a week, hit the brakes hard, low trac light came on and didn't turn off, shut the car off and now ABS inop again. I never had these issues with my old hub. Parts from parts stores suck. Officially.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X