Clear All

• my choices....need help

I will need four new tires soon. here is what my choices are:

245/50/16
    kelly (never heard of them)

235/55/16
    Firestone Firehawks
    Goodyear GTII (what I have on it now)

Any comments? I have no idea about tires.
    Thanks!
    :D
    *MATT* <p>98 Camaro SS #1767 A4<br />Artic White<br />Not stock...<p>Former car:<br />96 Firebird Y87 A4<br />Bright Red<br />Wasn\'t stock...

havnt heard anything bad about the firehawks

why not 255's [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm selling my set of 235/55/16 Eagle GA's (more expensive than the GTII's). They're practically brand new -- had a few miles on them( a few, not a few k), and most nubs are still showing. GA's I believe have more traction properties than the GTII's, though I'm not sure. I know at tirerack the 235/55/16 GTII's are $90 and the GA's are $99 (and the goodyear HP's are $86, FWIW). I'll let my GA's go at $85 each if you want -- and i'm even in the area -- catonsville, md, and would deliver immediately ... [img]smile.gif[/img]
      Drop me a line, make me an offer, play me a tune ...
      (and, btw, i'd trade for lots of different things ... e-mail me at rbeas@wam.umd.edu for trade talk)

Thanks!
      -Rob
      (I currently have goodyear GTII's, but would prefer the GA's myself)

[ February 25, 2002: Message edited by: Wicked 3800 V6 ]</p>
      <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

I'd go with 255/50's. Very close to stock diameter so it wont screw up your speedo. But they're wider ofcourse.

I'm going with Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's 255/50ZR16 [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
        <b>.::[ 0 ]::.</b><br /><b>1997 Camaro 3800 II M5</b> (30th edition)<br />[]B&M Ripper Shifter<br />[]Proform Shift Light<br />[]SLP Cold Air<br />[]Dynomax Exhaust<br />[]Richmond 3.73\'s<br />[]Zexel-Torsen LSD<br />[]180* Thermostat<br />[]Tail Blackouts<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/skyracer_x\" target=\"_blank\">pics</a>

Comment

I'd go with atleast 255/45's. That's my tire size all around. It didn't mess my speedo up. A little while after that I decided that I don't like that size either. I'd rather have around 40 or 35. 35 is pushing it but I think 40 is a median between a good wall of tire and look. 50 is just horrible.

255 is a good size. I notices a lot of difference in grip when I went with 255. I wouldn't mind going bigger in the rear, but I didn't want to have to buy tires every year. Maybe even twice a year. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] But one thing to think about for your rear tires is that the bigger the patch of tire you have the more pavement you'll be contacting. What that means is better off the line. How about some ET streets in the rear, yeah. :cool:
          1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

245/45 is the best combo. It's like getting smaller gear cause they aren't as tall as the other sizes. Try Potenzas RE730s, only $125 a piece at tirerack.

Comment

I wanted to go with a lower profile...but if I do..my 3.73's wont be as effective. I dont want to sacrifice performance for appearance. The reason for the 255/50' is because the overall diameter is almost identical as the OEM 235/55's. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
              <b>.::[ 0 ]::.</b><br /><b>1997 Camaro 3800 II M5</b> (30th edition)<br />[]B&M Ripper Shifter<br />[]Proform Shift Light<br />[]SLP Cold Air<br />[]Dynomax Exhaust<br />[]Richmond 3.73\'s<br />[]Zexel-Torsen LSD<br />[]180* Thermostat<br />[]Tail Blackouts<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/skyracer_x\" target=\"_blank\">pics</a>

Comment

So what should **I** go with?

:D
                *MATT* <p>98 Camaro SS #1767 A4<br />Artic White<br />Not stock...<p>Former car:<br />96 Firebird Y87 A4<br />Bright Red<br />Wasn\'t stock...

Comment

Make me an offer on mine ... [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  An excellent choice ...
                  -Rob
                  <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

It depends..do you want them for looks, performance, traction, or just plain dont care. There are really other factors in determining which is the right tire. If you dont care wether or not it will affect your gear ratio and speedo...then get some 40's or something. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Comment

Here's where I went. SLP sells a complete set, mounted and balanced, stock 16X8 wheels with 245/50-16 Goodyear GSCs for $549 (take-offs). Nice looking tire, decent performer, and you have a spare set of wheels.

They'll sell you just the tires for $400, but that's not a fantastic deal.

[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: V6Bob ]</p>
                      2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X