Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Recommendations

Hey all,

I'm in the process of a suspension rebuild - not a high performance one, just a necessary one. My daily driver is a 95 3.4L Firebird. I've got all new rubber bushings, and front brakes off of a 98+ fbody. I'm going to stick with stock sway bars, and springs. I wanted to get Bilstein HD's but I'm in the process of building up a 92 Camaro and just don't have the funds to do a performance build on both. I'm weary of going with Monroes again as they just wore out inside of a few years. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Brian

If Bilsteins are outside of the budget and you want something along the lines of stock replacement, then you should look into KYB GR2s. They're not going to be nearly as good as Bilsteins or even KYB AGX, but they'll be much better than Monroe or Gabriel replacements.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Re: Shock Recommendations

I would do it right the first time around and save up for the Blisteins or even QA-1's.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Daily driven? Bilsteins.

Drag racing? QA1's.

I got rid of my QA1's just now, guy came and picked those up and my 32/19mm swaybar combo. Moving on to better things.

Comment

@pace2006 - Thanks - thats the direction I was leaning in - just wanted some confirmation. I ordered the GR2's from Summit yesterday.

@ssms5411 - Normally I would just save up, but I've got a 3 day weekend and this really needs to be done. I'll probably swap them out in a couple of years to Bilsteins. I just blew too much money on my Camaro which I'm actually debating over QA1's and Koni's on. Oh well :)

@WarShrike - Thanks for the input I definately agree on those choices.

Comment

If DD I would go Koni's. QA-1s are pretty good though.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Konis? lmao did you not see the OP

look for some used bilstein HDs, you can find them with extremely low mileage for 50% of retail on ls1tech, ebay, and or CL

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
                Konis? lmao did you not see the OP

look for some used bilstein HDs, you can find them with extremely low mileage for 50% of retail on ls1tech, ebay, and or CL
                yah but konis are worth the price you pay for them. get them from strano and he will help you out setting the car up. but its better to do the project right the first time and the front on these cars can be a PITA compared to the rear. take car of you daily first, project second.

Comment

@madforce10 - you weren't kidding about the front ends of these being a PITA. I had to bring the control arms to a machine shop to get the bushings pressed out. The car was on jack stands for almost a week.

I went with the KYB GR2's. I know the Bilsteins would've been ideal, but they just weren't in the budget. With new bushings and shocks all the way around the difference is amazing, it feels like a new car.

When I got the rear shocks out I compressed both one of the KYB's and one of the Monroe Sensacraps at the same time. The KYB came right back, and I got it installed on the car before the Monroe finished rebounding. Those Monroes are only 4 years old - I put them on about a year after I bought the car.

Thanks for the advice - I'll be going with either Bilstein HD, Koni or QA1 Dual Adjustable on my 92 - still debating - the QA1 DA's will let me setup for 90/10 and then back to street, while the Bilsteins and Konis are all around good and much less $. Decisions, decisions.... Thanks again everyone! :)

Comment

Originally posted by 87SC/SS View Post
                    @madforce10 - you weren't kidding about the front ends of these being a PITA. I had to bring the control arms to a machine shop to get the bushings pressed out. The car was on jack stands for almost a week.

Thanks for the advice - I'll be going with either Bilstein HD, Koni or QA1 Dual Adjustable on my 92 - still debating - the QA1 DA's will let me setup for 90/10 and then back to street, while the Bilsteins and Konis are all around good and much less $. Decisions, decisions.... Thanks again everyone! :)
                    honestly konis are their price with their warranty. as long as the car is registered to be a street car and your the original buyer they will replace them for free minus shipping. also a note on the kyb adjustable don't run them full stiff since they are known to loose their dampening over time so your will need room for adjustment later on to get the longest life out of them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X