Tire height question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire height question

How much of a height difference is there when going from a 60 to a 50 series tire? I don't plan on lowering my car in the future, but would rather not have a very noticeable wheel well gap. Also, am I correct in assuming that a tire with a lower height would put more power/torque to the ground thus translating to improved acceleration?
    <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

aminor, go to google.com and search for "tire calculator". click on the first result and it will take you to a calculator were you put before and after tire sizes and display diagrams and measurements of the difference. hope you find it. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
    <b>.::[ 0 ]::.</b><br /><b>1997 Camaro 3800 II M5</b> (30th edition)<br />[]B&M Ripper Shifter<br />[]Proform Shift Light<br />[]SLP Cold Air<br />[]Dynomax Exhaust<br />[]Richmond 3.73\'s<br />[]Zexel-Torsen LSD<br />[]180* Thermostat<br />[]Tail Blackouts<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/skyracer_x\" target=\"_blank\">pics</a>

Comment

Man, I found two real nice calculators! Thanks alot. I'm gonna go play "what if"? :D
      <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

if you keep your same tire width and go down to a 50 series, you will have a lower profile tire. On the other hand if you go wider and also lower the aspect ratio you could end up going taller. This is because the aspect ratio is merely what it says. It's a ratio of the sidewall compared to the width of the tire. a good place to learn the differences in tires and specs is at www.tirerack.com
        Overall if you change the size tires you also change your effective gear ratio.

Comment

BF Goodrich and Goodyear, and I'd imagine most other tire makers, have specs for all of their tires, including the mounted height. You can use that to compare the height of different tire width and aspect ratio combinations.
          Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AMinor65:
            Man, I found two real nice calculators! Thanks alot. I'm gonna go play "what if"? :D <hr></blockquote>

No problem Aminor, glad I could help. So just punch in the numbers and take the measuring tape outside and check the differences between the tire and fender.

[img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
            <b>.::[ 0 ]::.</b><br /><b>1997 Camaro 3800 II M5</b> (30th edition)<br />[]B&M Ripper Shifter<br />[]Proform Shift Light<br />[]SLP Cold Air<br />[]Dynomax Exhaust<br />[]Richmond 3.73\'s<br />[]Zexel-Torsen LSD<br />[]180* Thermostat<br />[]Tail Blackouts<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/skyracer_x\" target=\"_blank\">pics</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X