SFC Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFC Question

Hi, all. I've done a good bit of searching on the forum and I just have to ask y'all something. I know bolt-on SFC's are generally considered not too good without being welded. I refer specifically to the Mod's Encyclopedia that says do NOT get the bolt-on's.

But... well, I really like the advantages of having them (I have T-tops.). It's a good descret upgrade. However, I really DON'T want to weld to the car. Bolt-on's are OK but I just don't want to weld stuff.

Questions are: Does anyone here have bolt-on without welded?? Are the newer UMI 2-pieces better in some way than the others without being welded? I noticed on Firebird GT's website he has the bolt-on UMI's and doesn't say "welded". Is it worth it to get 'em? Are they bad?

Thanks in advance!

Re: SFC Question

the bolts will just tend to elongate and stretch out on them over time...the bolts arent strong enough to withstand the flexing of the vehicle under high load situations...I think that is what the issue was.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I have had the bolt on ones for almost 3 years now with no issues. I still might weld them in, but I haven't noticed any of this loosening mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Rotors View Post
        I noticed on Firebird GT's website he has the bolt-on UMI's and doesn't say "welded".

They are color-coded "Planned" on my site - but yes, I intend to get the UMI bolt-ins. Running out of room in garage with "to be installed" stuff.

NOTE to self - fix Mod Encyclopedia.

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
          They are color-coded "Planned" on my site - but yes, I intend to get the UMI bolt-ins. Running out of room in garage with "to be installed" stuff.

NOTE to self - fix Mod Encyclopedia.

Me too, I have a bunch of stuff sitting around waiting to be installed.
          1997 Chevrolet Camaro
          L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

I would weld the SFC's , theres a def. noticable difference once installed. One of the best suspension mods to do.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The general consensus I've read online is that the bolt-ons still make a huge difference. I've got weld ons and love them, but the only reason I went with them is that I generally don't have anywhere to work on the car at school and was concerned I would need to tighten the bolts.

Comment

Thanks for all your responses and advice.
                Firebird GT, do you plan on welding them? What you plan on getting is exactly what I'd like to get (and not welding them).

Comment

weld in, if you dont have a welder any mom and pop shop could easily do it for for dirt cheap, just ask around.

makes an awesome spot to jack the car up from too!!!

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
                    weld in, if you dont have a welder any mom and pop shop could easily do it for for dirt cheap, just ask around.

makes an awesome spot to jack the car up from too!!!

I wouldn't get a "mon & pop" shop to do it. People have set the interior on fire welding them in not knowing what they are doing.

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I wouldn't get a "mon & pop" shop to do it. People have set the interior on fire welding them in not knowing what they are doing.

Also welding close to the fuel lines on the drivers side, take it to a professional.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                        Also welding close to the fuel lines on the drivers side, take it to a professional.
                        Both good points. Moreover, I just don't want to do anything to the car that can't be changed back (i.e. welding) ... want to stick with bolt-on/bolt-off really. I suppose it's pretty 50/50 opinions on bolt-on vs. welded (or bolt-on + welded)... well, maybe 40/60....

Comment

If being able to cleanly and easily remove them later on is a major concern, go with the bolt ons, plenty of people have had good luck with them. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Could even go bolt on 3 points if you are feeling crazy.

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

Originally posted by blackandgold View Post
                            If being able to cleanly and easily remove them later on is a major concern, go with the bolt ons, plenty of people have had good luck with them. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Could even go bolt on 3 points if you are feeling crazy.
                            Sounds good to me.

Comment

Im going UMI 3pt bolt in

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X