Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Brake Handle Fell Apart

1996 Camaro It's showing it's age. :(

A search tells me there are rivets inside and I believe I saw them and the bottom of the handle was actually brittle and not a hardened rubber which I thought these were made of from other years I suppose but correct me if I'm wrong.

Pulling the handle up with or without depressing the engaging button does not engage the ratcheting sound you hear and it doesn't stay in it's upright position to lock the rear brakes. Obviously the spring is involved, this much I know.

It's falling apart and the handle needs replacing. I never seen the front button pop out like this before and eBay shows one off a '97 for $70 and I think I can do better in due time. I don't know much of the interchangeability of e-brake handles from Camaros so clue me in towards my fix anyone?

I leave for work in a few and won't be back home 'til late tonight. In the meantime I have a solid rubber chock block to place behind the tire so it won't roll into another car.
    Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Re: Emergency Brake Handle Fell Apart

Yep ebay will be your best bet, Or TA creations.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I didn't know such things could happen

Comment

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
          I didn't know such things could happen
          I said the same thing!

Good news! I found a decent looking one on Craigslist, never used the site before and the part is 15 miles away.

After negotiation on price, we agreed on $30 which is not bad since he has to disassemble it off his console. I saved myself the hassles of being outbid on eBay, taxes, shipping etc.

Now I have to figure out how to remove my console carefully. He sent me a pic via cellphone. Way cool!

Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
            I forgot that site existed but isn't that for 3rd Gens? Either way I'm gonna save that link, very much appreciated! :bowdown:

Comment

Originally posted by 96RS Alex View Post
              I forgot that site existed but isn't that for 3rd Gens? Either way I'm gonna save that link, very much appreciated! :bowdown:
              Nope - F-body salvage - lots of 4th Gen stuff.

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

This just happened to me, brought me outta semi-forum retirement I guess.

But my question was, what do you do to get to the parking brake itself?

Take off the center console by unscrewing the 2 screws at the base of the console, the 4 screws in the center console (two of which or small), and then remove the part above the shifter. This is where im stuck. Then under the shifter there is one screw and pull up the center console, and it should be exposed right?

I have an auto so im assuming that the shift knob doesn't just rotate off like a screw or does it. Also was there an easier way to get to the darn thing, I mean I know in the first post he mentioned the rivet in the rubber, but is there anyway to fix it without getting a new part?

Basically for those that don't wanna read I'm asking about console disassembly to get to that part.
                Last edited by DeAmaro; 07-10-2012, 06:03 PM.

Comment

The one in the pic is from a third gen 82-92, I don't know if it will work or not, just saying.

Comment

No im getting a part for the 4th gen. But I have the same problem. Heck the part didnt even change that much from the 3rd gen. Just trying to get the center console completely out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X