front end poppingand steering wheel off center after new TRE's and alignment - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

front end poppingand steering wheel off center after new TRE's and alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front end poppingand steering wheel off center after new TRE's and alignment

new duralast outer tie rod ends and alignment installed/done.... alignment was perfect. 3 days later i hear a pop at full lock going down my steep drive way.... sounds like a TRE pop. and then my steering wheel is off center. the center of the wheel has to be pointed at 10 to go straight.... ripped everything apart. the tie rod ends still seem good the inners seem good... HOWEVER, the castle nuts were both finger loose on the outer TRE's the hole for the cotter pin is about an 1/8 higher than the nut sits. i think the nut backed off before the alignment. and the steering wheel got off because the TRE shifted.... i've sold myself on that being what happened......i was gonna put washers underneath the nut to fix that problem.
    now, if you're still with me, my question is... after i tightened the castle nuts and there was no play. took it for a drive and the toe was still off. and i heard the same TRE popping noise at full lock.... could that be because the toe is off??????? like it was overextending on one side?

also don't think its ball joints i checked to see if there was back and forth play with my tires holding/pushing @ 6 and 12
    Last edited by thebeewantsboost; 12-28-2011, 08:57 PM.

Re: front end poppingand steering wheel off center after new TRE's and alignment

I would say it could be because one side is off, only way to see is a allignment and try it afterwatds. If it stll does it something is def. wrong somewhere.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Re: front end poppingand steering wheel off center after new TRE's and alignment

im gonna take it into goodyear gemini where the alignment was done.. talked to my friend up there today... really annoyed with the situation not the shop, just the parts and the problem. . don't think i'll ever cheap out on tie rod ends again.

Comment

installed washers last night, basically about an 1/8" spacer. and they redid the alignment for me today. everythings good now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X