strange pad/rotor wear pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange pad/rotor wear pattern

When I replaced my 10bolt with the S60 I went ahead and swapped to rear disk brakes (looking back I wish I'd stayed with drums, or converted everything to 98 disks...). One of my problems now is the brake pads and rotors have a strange wear pattern on them, and in the 2nd pic you can clearly see where the rust spots are on the rotor, even though the pad should be contacting it there. The guide pins are fully lubricated and the caliper can easily slide back and forth on them.

In this pic you can see the difference between where the pad is contacting the rotor and where it is not... Also, the inner pad does not completely line up with the outside diameter of the rotor. There is about 1/16" of the pad that is not worn at all (it's highlighted red). Kindly ignore the lovely "made in china" air hose...:eyes:
    When I looked at the inner pad after I took the pics last night there was visibly more pad material on the part that was rough vs the part that was smooth. To me this indicates an uneven application of pressure, but how??

In this pic you can see where the outer pad should be contacting the rotor, but isn't. The inner side of the rotor does not have this issue, and despite there being uneven wear on the inner pad, that rotor surface is worn pretty evenly. I do not know why the rust spots look like spray cheese...I think it was the flash of my phone's camera.

Lastly, sometimes I would hear a "scrape scrape scrape" noise when turning. I looked at the mounting braket and it seemed very close to the rotor. I shaved that part of the bracket down (it does not come into contact with the pad or caliper, so I don't see how it could cause uneven wear. AND my pads were wearing strangly before I shaved it down), and the scraping noise has not come back. A .025" feeler gauge fits in with some wiggle room, so I'm guessing the clearance is aboue .030". Is this normal?

Parts replaced:
    Calipers & Mounting brakets: I ordered the calipers and mounting brakets from partstrain.com. I no longer have the boxes they came in, so I do not think I can return them. I did notice that the driver's side braket they sent me said "corvette" on it. It had a different size both thread and was slightly closer to the rotor than the passenger side bracket. I reecntly aquired a stock bracket from a junkyard and mounted it on the drivers side, but it has not made a difference.
    Pads--- The 1st set of pads I had were the economy ones from Advance. I replaced those and the current ones are the economy ones from NAPA (I wanted to fix the issue before spending $60+ on pads...).
    Rotors--- The first set of rotors I had were also from Advance, but the driver side rotor acted/wore/looked like it was slightly warped, so they replaced those rotors with my current ones.

Lastly, the brakes will sometimes make a loud groaning noise when moving at ~5mph or an idle speed. If I apply pressure to the brakes, the sound stops.

QUESTION SUMMARY
    1) Is is possible that BOTH of the calipers are not cast properly? I am currently at a loss for what I should do...
    2) What are possible reasons for the calipers of boths sides to be applying uneven pressure to the pads?
    3) Is .030" clearance between the mounting braket and the rotor normal?

Re: strange pad/rotor wear pattern

I think I can explain your pad noise,most of the better pads have chamfered edges.

When the pad is a block of material it can get dragged across the rotor as the car turns through tight corners.

My cheap rear pads were making lots of noise,I replaced them with AC Delco's with chamfered edges and no more noise.

The 93-97 rear disc set up sucked,I had a 94 TA and had nothing but problems with the rears.

Comment

Hmm, that makes sense about the noise, but it also does that "moaning" when stopping/going in a straight line. It hasn't done it in several days though, so maybe it'll just fix it self? Haha...yea right :rolleyes:

Comment

I guess if the pads wore down enough.

My cheapo white box pads were thicker than the OEM pads which caused squeal,chatter and all sorts of other fun sounds.

Comment

Kick your tires? Check the wheel bearings?

Comment

I still have the strange wear pattern, but I haven't had a chance to delve into it anymore. To pour salt into the wound, when I was converting to rear disks it was a PAIN to find the caliper mount, e-brake spring and clip. A day or so ago I was randomly looking at parts online and found the caliper, caliper mount, e-brake spring and bracket already mounted on the caliper for $68... Why do deals like that always show up afterwords?

And no I haven't checked the wheel bearings. The entire rear end is brand new though. It's a Strange S60. I swapped to rear discs b/c they sent me the axles and backing plates for disk brakes, not drums. I had been wanting to switch to discs and the rear and saw it as a good opportunity. If only I knew then what I know now...lol.

Comment

Did you call Strange? It almost sounds like a couple of different things going on (something bent/wrong parts), but after looking at their catalog I'm wondering if maybe the axles are all set up for the 98+ brakes.

Just a thought.

Comment

If the rear was set-up for the 98+ brakes I don't think it would work at all because the caliper placement is different, and the calipers have a different bolt spacing.

Soo...now I feel like a frikin IDIOT!!!! :( I'm nearly 100% sure I had installed my pads wrong...
                I had the metal spring/clips on the pads going through the caliper to the other side, so they pulled on the pads instead of pushing against the caliper to line them up with the rotor... This caused the pad to not be all the way on the rotor, and I think messed up the pressure of the pad that was against the rotor as well. I fixed this stupid mistake and haven't had any weird noises since. The wear pattern on the rotors is also starting to look normal.
                I can't believe I made such a simple mistake. I can install and require my entire engine, but screwed up with a simple brake pad install, LOL!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                  New Owner!
                  by LETZRIDE
                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                  3 days ago
                • ssms5411
                  Little work today
                  by ssms5411
                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                  2 weeks ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X