Ultimate Tire Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Tire Advice

Looking through the handling board, I noticed that it would be helpful if someone told you guys how the tire industry worked and how not to get ripped off. This will be long, but you should be able to learn a lot. Here are some rules.

1)Never replace OEM Tires with the same kind. The company knows a lot of people will do this, and the prices are high. Its like buy OEM Wheels, they are outrageous. For instance, I got 2 tires from an SS camaro (275/40Zr17s Goodyear F1) They listed at like $250 or so a piece (Just because the are OEM on SS Camaros). I got 2 Kumhos for about $120 a piece, and I think the Kumhos are better.

2)Always check DOT Grades. Treadwear - The higher the number the better. On high performance tires (Z speed rated), 200 is as low as you want to go, some new BFG G-Forces have a 400 rating. You can get up to like 600 or so (But probably not on a Z-Rated, and probaly very pricey). Traction - for a camaro, never go below A, AA is best. Temp - Get and A rated.

3)Michelin and BFG are the best, they really are. Not even arguably. They are very consistantly the roundest tires, and are built with more sophisticated equip. However, they cost a LOT! Michelin Pilot Sport tires are just about as expensive as you can get. The best bang for the buck is probably the Kumhos.

4)Avoid Weird stuff, make sure you can replace it later.

5) Don't order online, unless you have a branch of the store nearby, in case of problems, with tire rack, your screwed (Such are needing repairs, balance) Most places do stuff like that free for customers.

6) Watch the people work on your car. I have talked with people that work at other tire stores, sears for example. They are always amazed about how much safety we have to go through at Discount Tire, which only makes me wonder how unsafe they are at sears. MAKE SURE THEY TORQUE YOUR LUG NUTS! Any newer camaro torques at 100 ft-lbs. Make sure they do this!

Thats about it. oh yeah, and shop around!
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS

you dont want too high or too low a treadwear rating. too low is soft and provides more traction but doesnt last very long. too high lasts forever but doesnt provide the best (dry) traction.

as for lugnuts, drive him. loosen and re-tighten yourself. even if you convince the shop people to not use the air wrench you dont know the torque wrench's condition (has it been dropped when was it last replaced/checked?) since the rotors in the f-body are 'new style' lug nut torque is very important to prevent warping.

Comment

Exactly. We check our wrenches weekly, but, if you want something done right..... do it yourself.
      1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AZ3.8Camaro:
        5) Don't order online, unless you have a branch of the store nearby, in case of problems, with tire rack, your screwed (Such are needing repairs, balance) Most places do stuff like that free for customers.<hr></blockquote>

Most competent people with common sense can plug a tire or pay someone $10 to patch it from the inside.

I will NEVER buy another tire locally. I get screwed by taxes, mount and balance, and they even charge for the tire stem! :eek: WTF would they charge me for the tire stem?!? :(

It's cheaper for me to buy my tires from Tirerack.com, pay the shipping, and pay the Costco down the street $9 per tire to mount and balance and hand torque the lug nuts. I double checked the lug nuts when I went home and they were perfect. :D My last comparison shopping saved me $120 by doing the online thing vs. buying the cheapest tire locally. :(

Again, I will NEVER buy another tire locally. ;)

[ February 17, 2002: Message edited by: Jason McCallister ]</p>
        Jason McCallister, Founder & Webmaster<br /><a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">West Tennessee F-Body Association, Inc.</a><br /><br />2000 Camaro - <a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org/site/view_member.php?ID=68\" target=\"_blank\">Details</a>

Comment

Take the tire rack quote into a local store, and they'll give you the best of both worlds for the same price.
          1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Yep I priced Tirerack including the shipping and priced them locally and the savings is about 150~180. duh it would be like getting the 4 tire free from tirerack vs buying local.
            &gt;&gt;OH 1 FIREBIRD SunsetOrangeMetalic<br />Not at All Stock

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
              New Owner!
              by LETZRIDE
              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
              1 day ago
            • ssms5411
              Little work today
              by ssms5411
              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
              2 weeks ago
            • LETZRIDE
              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X