Would it be dangerous putting these tires on my car? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it be dangerous putting these tires on my car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it be dangerous putting these tires on my car?

Hello,

I was wondering if I put 215/60-16 in the front (original size) and let's say 235/55-16 in the rear or even bigger like 245/50-16 ou 255/50-16? Would it be dangerous or not good for the car? I would put the same brand and model for each size...

Thanks for any input!

JFB

Re: Would it be dangerous putting these tires on my car?

Only if you get it done at Wal-mart.

Comment

I run 255/45/16s all around. They do just fine.

Comment

215s will be fine, and 255s can fit

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
        Only if you get it done at Wal-mart.
        almost 3 years of going to wal mart for mounting and balancing, winters, a/s, drag radials. No problems, weights on the inside, no wheel damage, smooth at 150mph plus. Guess your wal mart just sucks? all for 5 bucks a piece too woot!:wavey:

Comment

I think he's wanting two different sizes on the car, not just the sizes.

I'm no expert, but I would think that may cause a bit more under-steer than the car already has, and you wouldn't be able to rotate the tires. The 215/60 would be a larger diameter tire than your 245/50's, though the 255/50 would likely be the same diameter than the 215's, but 245 is as wide as deemed "safe" for this rim size, though people say they put wider without mis-happenings.

Not sure what your gaining, however, by making your front tires narrower. Dragster looks? Doubt anyone but you would notice. Usually, IIRC, the idea behind little front wheels is to marginalize the rolling resistance and rotational inertia on a drag car for straight line acceleration and speed. Not sure if a 215/60 really going to give that to you. I'm thinking less grip during braking and understeer, inability to rotate the tires combines to say that combo is a bit silly in my books.

Comment

Yeah their would be 2 different sizes on the car... I was thinking of doing this because I wanted to put 235/55-16 all around but I can find only 2 of this size used around me. I could buy 4 x 215/60-16 tires if everyone think it's really better. I tought the 235/55 was a good choice for the rear, it's the same exact heigth and diameter as the 215/60 , only a little larger.

Comment

I'm still torn on what to do and I'm going to buy some used tires in like 1 hour... Any input?

Comment

Finally I'm back and I bought 2 x 215/60-16 Goodyear Eagle GA for the front and 2 x 235/55-16 Goodyear Eagle GA for the rear. I was real lucky to find the same brand in different sizes like this. I paid $134 for all 4 but they are used of course. The back have about %50 left and the front 75.

Comment

Originally posted by WaOnFiRe View Post
                  Finally I'm back and I bought 2 x 215/60-16 Goodyear Eagle GA for the front and 2 x 235/55-16 Goodyear Eagle GA for the rear. I was real lucky to find the same brand in different sizes like this. I paid $134 for all 4 but they are used of course. The back have about %50 left and the front 75.
                  How have the tires been?

Comment

I like the look of the 255/50/16, rann them for about 7-8 years.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X