Shops say "NO!" to mounting 245/50 16's on stock alloy rim - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shops say "NO!" to mounting 245/50 16's on stock alloy rim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shops say "NO!" to mounting 245/50 16's on stock alloy rim

I thought that there was no difference between the stock 1995 v-6 16 inch 8 inch diameter aluminum rims and the Z28 rims. Is there a reason I shouldn't be putting my Michelin Sport Pilot A/S Plus 245/50 16 tires on my stock aluminum rims?

I'm on my 3rd set of tires now. My Wally-World Goodyear American Eagles (which were fine tires in their own right) had some punctures that required replacement. Can't get the Goodyear American Eagles replaced under roadhazard warranty because Walmart stopped making them (that's another story entirely). After much *****ing, scratching, pleading and a wonderful technitian who thought the manager was completely nucking futs for wanting to put on 205's on the stock rims, Wally-World said "go buy your tires and we'll just give you cash refund for the remaining treadlife when you return them." Funny thing is, not many manufacturers make 235/55 16 tires anymore, when I called around to the shops, no one seemed to have much, except for a few shops here and there who had off brand, Kumohs etc. Decided to go to 245/50 16 instead.

Some of the shops, Goodyear and Walmart in particular, told me that they "cannot mount 245/50 16 on my stock aluminum rims because the computer says that will be unsafe". Note I that they say "the computer says". If I told them it was a Z-28, their computer would say "sell customer most expensive tire in stock and a jar of vasoline." So, what's the deal? Did I encounter a bunch of button pushers who don't want to take the time to look up the specs, or is there a reason I shouldn't be putting my Michelin Sport Pilot A/S Plus 245/50 16-inch tires on my 16-inch diameter, 8-inch wide stock aluminum rims?

Re: Shops say "NO!" to mounting 245/50 16's on stock alloy rim

Man I have 225-45-15 on a 15x7 nitto nt01's on my eunos.. 245 should be fine on a 16, I encountered people who wouldn't sell
    Me wide tires for safety issues (hooking kids?) but maybe 245 should be fine for 16x8 IMO..
    Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
    1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
    1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
    2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

some shops won't mess with low profile sidewalls because they can be a pain to mount without cutting the bead or they don't have the right changers for the low profile tires
      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

245 is fine for 16x8 rim , I ran 255/50/16 when I had 16" rims. I would go to another shop.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The 245/50R16 came stock on the LT1 Z28's. I went through a couple sets of them on my V6, and even ran 255/50R16's. Walmart is simply attempting to avoid situations in which they can be sued. There are less of our stock size tires being manufactured these days because those sizes don't come OE on anything recent. They are just replacement tires for cars that are slowly becoming more rare.

Comment

Find a shop that knows what they are talking about.

Comment

^
              What he said, almost any good shop will put them on. I would've went with 255s, but no one makes them.

Comment

Must be just following the computer way too closely? I Had a shop mount my 245 yokohamas on the stockers with no questions asked...
                In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
                2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

tell em its a z28 just to shut them up

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                  1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Im running 245/50/16's no issues whatsoever, and honestly I believe they're even safer than the 235's... my car certainly handles and grabs alot better than it originally did.
                    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Re: Shops say &quot;NO!&quot; to mounting 245/50 16's on stock alloy rim

no issue with 245 wide tires. kumo now makes a 265 wide tire for the 16 inch wheel. i would be tempted to try to fit those on the stock wheels although the specs say not too cause our wheels are 1/2 inch too narrow.

Comment

i wouldnt bring my wheels to that shop.....hit up walmart or something

Comment

Well, here's how it all fell out:

When I brought the tires back (along with my new tires) I asked for the store manager immediatly. Again, the manager said they only do what their computer says due to liability, even if it makes no sense. Walmart does not sell any 235/55-16 or any 245/50-16 any longer, so they refunded my money (pro-rated of course) for all four tires since they could not even order 235's of any make. I thought it was funny that EVERYONE working there knew the tires were from the white Camaro, even though I brought the tires in loose. Apparently taking four tires on and off a car twice in one day will do that.

So when I brought the Goodyears back, I took my 245/50-16 Michelin's in to them and told the tech that they are the same rims that are on a Z-28 (which is absolutely true). I asked if they would mount and balance them at no charge for the day of work and 6 plus hours that my wife spent dealing with them in the store last friday, plus the few hours I spent with them yesterday. The department manager was actually nice enough to agree to mount and balance them for free.

So, in the end it was an ordeal just to get the 235's replaced under road-hazard, but I ended up with some nicer tires, and Wal-Mart retained a customer, though perhaps not for tire purchases in the future.

Just got a front end allignment done today and the new tires seem to be really smooth (but that's probably in my head).

Summary of summary:
                          +1 for TireRack and thier HUGE selection of tires.
                          +1 for roadhazard warranties (sort of).
                          -1 for Walmart only willing to carry today's popular tire sizes.
                          +1 for Walmart prorating all 4 tires rather than jerking me around any more.
                          -1 for Walmart taking 8 hours of our lives.
                          Last edited by landj; 06-23-2011, 03:51 PM.

Comment

I do not think it is just in your head. I have the same tires on my Camaro and I love them.

Comment

Wow, first mistake is taking it to wally-world. Nightmare of a store/service center.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X