how much added noise with poly bushings??? Is this normal? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much added noise with poly bushings??? Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much added noise with poly bushings??? Is this normal?

After replacing my sway bars this weekend, I noticed a couple of things and I am wondering if this sounds right or no? So tonight when I get home, I can re-check these things.

1. I have some added noise when going over speed bumps, sounds like somethings dry, except nothing is. I am using ES polyurathane bushings for endlinks only on front and rear sway bars and the 1LE D bushings. It sometimes sounds like a squeek. I am just curious to if that sounds normal?

2. I have some added clunking sounds too. I know I tightened them down, but maybe not tight enough? I watched the bushings flatten out just a hair, then stopped. I know part of my clunking is in the front right side outter tie rod which is being replaced this week, but other than that, should I notice any noise from the sway bars them selfs?

Please let me know. It doesn't drive me nuts yet since I had a blazer with busted, rusty ball joints that went sqeek over everything, so this noise is no problem. Atleast this time it was from adding a performance part and not breaking a regular part. I just would like to make sure these are on right etc... I have enough time today to double check that things are tight.

Please let me know,
    Chris

I have said this over and over - you CAN NOT use anything but 1LE endlinks on a 1LE swaybar. The sway bar end and the endlink are special - different from anything else. A ES endlink will work great with an aftermarker swaybar, but not a 1LE.
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Ok ok, I will get some 1LE endlinks if I can not get these ones to work. The reason being is I looked at the mounting of the endlinks on the 1LE bar and my stock bar and they look the same. I am assuming I do not have them tight enough and that is why.

GMpartsdirect wants $30 shipped for 4 endlinks (2 front and 2 back). I would just sell the ES ones on the message board if anyone wanted them.

I do want to thank you though Firebird for your help with your imput on this topic. I know in theory 1LE should be kept 1LE (with bushings and all) but a lot of people seem to use the ES and Prothane bushings anyways, so it makes it a hard deciession. I know my ES bushings look 100% different than the 1LE bushings, but......if you sandwhiched them down the should fit the same. I just wanted to say thanks, and if this doesn't work, I'll have some 1LE endlinks ordered and on their way.

My back and front sounds.......the more I think about it, is that it is not tightened down enough, even though I swear I cranked down on them. Tonight I am gonna put it back up on the rhino ramps and get the torque wrench out and torque them to specs if they aren't there already. Hopefully that will make the difference.

Thanks again,
      Chris

Comment

They are going to be very noisy even if you use 1LE endlinks. Both are poly. Poly is not rubber. They are supposed to be loose. It's suspension for a car, some things are supposed to move. 18ft-lbs, which is nothing.

I happend to have both 1LE and Prothane endlinks and they look pretty similar. I'll take pics in 2 weeks hopefully. There is a very minor difference and since the endlink is supposed to be torqued to only 18ft-lbs, it would matter that much. It's not a solid contact point. Just kinda keeps it in place. But whatever. I'm done arguing about this. I'll just put those pics in my sig for those that haven't seen both and you all can decide for yourself if it's worth getting 1LE if you already have Prothane. If you don't have anything, might as well buy 1LE since they cost the same.

Comment

Thanks Dom, tonight I am going to ride the car up and re-check how tight things are. For all I know I tightened them not enough or too much. This may be all I need to check. 18ft/lbs. My wrench goes down to 20, so hopefully that will be enough. I dunno how much a 2ft/lbs difference would make.

Thanks again,
          Chris

Comment

Did you grease the bushings?
            1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

I know they're "supposed to be loose". But I cranked the hell out of my front endlinks, without a torque wrench, and I know (er ... hope) that they're tight as hell. Seems like tighter would be better. I recall reading on someone's camaro road racing site about "pre-loading" endlinks, and how the car handled much better. So mine are cranked as tight as I could get with a 6" / 8" wrench in my left hand and the good ole ratchet in the right.
              -Rob
              <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wicked 3800 V6:
                I know they're "supposed to be loose". But I cranked the hell out of my front endlinks, without a torque wrench, and I know (er ... hope) that they're tight as hell. Seems like tighter would be better. I recall reading on someone's camaro road racing site about "pre-loading" endlinks, and how the car handled much better. So mine are cranked as tight as I could get with a 6" / 8" wrench in my left hand and the good ole ratchet in the right.
                -Rob
                <hr></blockquote>

Do you know what "pre-loading" means? 18ft-lbs is pre-loading also.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X