power steering delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power steering delete

i have a 96 camaro and i want to get rid of it i want manual steering no pump. is this possible? my pupm is pissing fluid and its just a headache. any ideas?

Re: power steering delete

yes, its possible, you will just need a shorter belt

Comment

I've wanted to do this on my car for quite some time. More for weight reduction than anything else. Anyone know how major of a difference there is between the power and manual? Obviously there will be some but how much.
      Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Originally posted by youngsc View Post
        I've wanted to do this on my car for quite some time. More for weight reduction than anything else. Anyone know how major of a difference there is between the power and manual? Obviously there will be some but how much.
        from what i have seen, you cant tell at highway speeds, but there is a major difference when turning the wheel while stopped, or moving slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
          from what i have seen, you cant tell at highway speeds, but there is a major difference when turning the wheel while stopped, or moving slowly.
          i've had to drive mine when the ps return line blew off the resivour, and at highway speeds, it's pretty much the same. at about 15+, it's harder, and under 15, hope you have muscles so you can turn it fast enough to make the turns.

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
            Originally posted by battousai View Post
            i've had to drive mine when the ps return line blew off the resivour, and at highway speeds, it's pretty much the same. at about 15+, it's harder, and under 15, hope you have muscles so you can turn it fast enough to make the turns.
            I'm wondering then if the manual rack and pinion replacement aides this a little bit. I gots the muscles but don't want to fight my car to save a few pounds.
            Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

believe me its not worth the 10 pounds your gunna save our power steering pump is small. our car with out ps is dangerous cause it really doesnt get much easyer even moving i lost mine for a week or so and it SUCKED!

Comment

Originally posted by youngsc View Post
                I'm wondering then if the manual rack and pinion replacement aides this a little bit. I gots the muscles but don't want to fight my car to save a few pounds.

They have manual rack & pinions for like $500 which have a greater turning radius like 12.1 ratio.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

They do have manual racks so yes it is possible...the lighter you make your car the easier it will be to turn it without fighting it....but here's the kicker...the manual racks have a worse steering ratio then our power racks.

irrc, lock to lock in a non y87 car is 2.8 turns, in a y87 car it is 2.1 turns, in a manual rack car it is around 3.8 (don't quote me, but I remember it being mid to high 3's for sure) so this means you are going to have to rotate the wheel more to get it to go where you want. Great for a straight line, crappy for everyday driving.

But let me know if you find a manual rack with a tighter steering ratio, I wouldn't mind deleting it myself...I hear you save much more then 10lbs, I think it's closer to 50-60...plus the added advantage of one less pulley

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                  1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

i drove it and i liked it alot better manual cause i personaly feel like i have more control of the steering. where do they sell the manual racks?

Comment

spohn.net sells them and a couple of other companies

Comment

Originally posted by bwkmaro View Post
                        spohn.net sells them and a couple of other companies

X2 , spohn, thunder, LM performance, and they are geared for a tighter turn, and about 10lb savings, for $500 its steep. I thought bout doing it since I have my Tub. K and arms but its not that great for weight saving for the money, it can be spent else where.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by 96camaro3.8 View Post
                          i drove it and i liked it alot better manual cause i personaly feel like i have more control of the steering. where do they sell the manual racks?
                          you drove it how? with just your power steering unhooked as it is now? that is going to feel alot different then a manual rack...like I said, you are adding a full rotation to the wheel just to make a turn...it's going to feel that much looser on you.

PA racing I think also carries manual racks.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                            you drove it how? with just your power steering unhooked as it is now? that is going to feel alot different then a manual rack...like I said, you are adding a full rotation to the wheel just to make a turn...it's going to feel that much looser on you.

PA racing I think also carries manual racks.
                            yes i drove it with the pump off. well any how itll be raced at the track so wieght is everything in a sense. its not a everyday driver so id really dont want to deal with the pump and all that. but then again 500.00 is alot and i could do alot more to the car with that amount of money.

Comment

What belt do I need to do the same? Sorry to comment on an old thread but idk how to post a new topic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X