Wheel Hop and Poly Bushings....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Hop and Poly Bushings....

Been having bad wheel hop lately when trying to launch. It starts as wheel spin, then quickly goes into bad hop.

Was reading about the suspension, and some say to replace the torque arm bushing and rear control arm bushings with a hard poly. Supposed to keep the torque arm from lifting, preventing the axle housing from rotating. Same idea with the LCA busings, prevents them from deforming and causing the axle housing to rotate.

So I was thinking of getting the torque arm bushing, and LCA bushings and see what effect it might have.

Anyone done this before? Does it work as described? The motor is just stock. so hopefully this will do the trick.

BTW, car now has 39K miles.
    Last edited by Mark42; 04-09-2010, 08:31 PM.

Re: Wheel Hop and Poly Bushings....

39K Holy fook thats like new

I would say replace shocks actually. Thats what fixed mine.
    Btw; those stockers are only good for about 20K...

How is it when you go over bumps?
    sigpic
    98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod.sixty9 View Post
      39K Holy fook thats like new

I would say replace shocks actually. Thats what fixed mine.
      Btw; those stockers are only good for about 20K...

How is it when you go over bumps?
      It doesn't seem to ride bad at all. Just the launch. And it didn't do it with the 3.08 gears and open rear, just with the 3.73's and Truetrac. Guess its just more torque going into the rear.

Any suggestions on a low priced shock that would be an improvement over stock?

Comment

KYB GR2's

I think thats them. Like $20 from summit...

I would go see how it reacts to bumps at a decent speed.

If no hits then, then Id have to say its too far past my knowledge. Just saying thats what fixed my wheel hop. And Im pretty sure yours are dead anyway
        sigpic
        98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

While I'd agree that the stock shocks don't last very long, at only 40k, I would first replace the LCA bushings. Poly bushings in your stock LCAs should be fine for the street and seem to be a more common cause of wheel hop. Shocks can certainly contribute as well, but I think personally I'd do bushings first.
          sigpic
          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
          1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

The LCA bushings are about $37 from Summit, and I should be able to do the swap myself. Also, the torque arm bushing is only $12, so it would be worth replacing that too. Could even have the arms boxed while they are out, but that is probably overkill.

Guess I should be prepared for more road noise in the cabin from the LCA bushings. But that is the trade off.

Is there a problem with poly bushings binding in LCA's because they have little flex?
            Last edited by Mark42; 04-11-2010, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Will try to find 1LE LCA bushings, they are reported to be a harder rubber compound than the standard bushing.

This makes for some interesting reading on lower control arms and poly bushings: http://hewsoninc.ca/mythinformation.htm#hop

Comment

Moog hard rubber bushings are the way to go when replacing LCA bushings. They are a solid piece, instead of the stock stamped soft rubber bushings and will last longer. You also won't have to worry about binding and deformity like with poly bushings. I installed a set last year and haven't thought twice at replacing the LCAs or boxing the stock ones.

Shocks will make the biggest difference in reducing wheel hop, but will also come at a cost for some decent replacements. You don't want to just buy the cheapest ones out there and hope they'll solve your problems, because in reality, they'll probably make the ride harsh and bumpy over uneven pavement. Your stock shocks are getting to the mileage where they start fading very quickly, due to the poor valving from the factory. But if you don't feel like spending the money on shocks now, a good set of hard rubber LCA bushings can help to cover up some of the problems of the stock shocks.
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

After messing with the car this weekend, I think the rear shocks are not 100%, but not worn out. The rear sort of floats while the front is firm. I also smoked a back tire on the highway during a traffic "brake check" at 65 mph and the ABS light came on. If the shocks were good, the tire should not have broke traction in the back under medium/hard braking.

So after reading that the KYB GR2 is a good replacement for the OE, and others have eliminated wheel hop by using this exact shock, I ordered a pair. They are not a mono-tube design like the high dollar shocks, but they should do the trick. Also included a poly torque arm bushing, just because its inexpensive, and the OE rubber one takes a beating.

Looking forward to seeing what sort of change these parts make.

If hop is still bad, next step is the moog bushings.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but Mark42, did the KYB GR2's work out for you? I'm thinking of doing the same thing as my car gets a pretty bad wheel hop when I get on it too.
                    aka FreedStyle
                    Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                    2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

check your trans mount

Comment

i would do a trans mount before anything else. with the stock one my shifter will rise and fall about 2 inches inside the car. if you really want to go overboard like i did you can do a torque arm relocation. just let me know ill give you all the specs you will need for it for 98+cars.

Comment

Originally posted by madforce10 View Post
                          i would do a trans mount before anything else. with the stock one my shifter will rise and fall about 2 inches inside the car. if you really want to go overboard like i did you can do a torque arm relocation. just let me know ill give you all the specs you will need for it for 98+cars.
                          On this note, is it normal for the shifter to bounce? like ALOT. Or would that be a mount as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                            On this note, is it normal for the shifter to bounce? like ALOT. Or would that be a mount as well?
                            Yes , thats a early warning the trans mount is going.
                            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Well then it sounds like I've got a bad/worn trans mount then. The thumping I'm hearing does seem to be coming from right under the center console, and my shifter moves a lot too.

Will taking care of the trans mount help the wheel hop problem at all? I'm also getting new tires this weekend, might that just be the problem? Springs/shocks are also on the list for this winter hopefully.

Thanks!
                              aka FreedStyle
                              Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                              2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X