New rotors, and braking questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rotors, and braking questions

I need new rotors pretty bad i say, they feel smooth, but im almost 90% these are the original rotors, and they have over 136k miles on them

a couple of people on a different forum suggested these
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
    and that they were good quality and had good luck with them

since those are almost as cheap, if not cheaper than buying oem rotors i was thinking about buying them, 50% because of looks

1.i heard bad things about rotors that are slotted and drilled because it causes stress cracks easier, true?

2.do they offer any performance over stock pads, other than maybe cooling brakes faster

3. i lost abs when i changed rear end carriers, is there i way to buy the ring needed to get abs back?

4. what is needed to do to delete the abs module from the car if i cannot get it to work? for lighter weight and less in engine bay

5. i have a black car, with black zr1's and whistler moded headlights, so pretty much all black, and i have red painted calipers, but the more i see red on black cars the cheezier i think it looks, i also have a brand new car of sonic metalic blue (ford cobra color) caliper paint, would this look good on a all black car? i think it might go with 8000k hids

Re: New rotors, and braking questions

1.i heard bad things about rotors that are slotted and drilled because it causes stress cracks easier, true?
    Yes its true , I highly suggest slotted rotors only , However when you need to get your rotors machined you need to take it to a special shop that will do it .

2.do they offer any performance over stock pads, other than maybe cooling brakes faster

Idk about performance but depending on what kind you get they will produce very little brake dust

Comment

A few things:

1. Drilled/Slotted rotors have no performance advantage to blank rotors. They are purely an appearance mod and can crack over time. They also tend to eat through pads quicker. You should look into getting some Brembo blanks or even ATE rotors.

2. Pads will be a completely different matter. Either get some quality ones like EBC or Hawks pads, and you'll be good.

3. If you changed from a 2 series carrier (<3.08) to a 3 series carrier (>3.23), you need to get a thicker ABS reluctor ring to enable ABS. You can find the part number in this thread.

4. You can search for this if you decide to not get the ABS ring.

5. Ever thought of polishing the calipers? That and some black Camaro caliper vinyls could make for a nice contrast from all the black.

A final suggestion that I'd make is to flush the brake fluid if you get new brake pads and rotors. At 136k miles, I'm sure that brake pedal is feeling pretty mushy. Fresh fluid will make the biggest difference in feel when applying the brakes.
      '99 Camaro
      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

ya i changed out my fluid last weekend, all clear now, it was nasty black, def. needed to be changed, polishing seems like a good idea, whats the best way to do this? i have a feeling they are going to get dirty way to easy

my stock carrier was a 3 series, where would i buy the ring? i searched summit but i didnt see it

Comment

Originally posted by Fondle View Post
          ya i changed out my fluid last weekend, all clear now, it was nasty black, def. needed to be changed, polishing seems like a good idea, whats the best way to do this? i have a feeling they are going to get dirty way to easy

my stock carrier was a 3 series, where would i buy the ring? i searched summit but i didnt see it
          You might be able to find a write-up somewhere on here, if not through google or around the internet. I don't have one saved off-hand. You can put some clear over them after polishing or putting some vinyl on. It may lose a little shine, but will help to protect the finish and make it easier to clean.

Here are some examples: http://community.webshots.com/album/62174262YTTsEW

You can get the ring from Gmpartsdirect.com or from the local dealership. Cost is about the same from each once you factor in shipping.
          '99 Camaro
          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

ok thanks, i will probably put the ring back in when i go to change gears

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X