installing sway bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing sway bars

I got a set of 32MM front sway bar and 19MM sway bar off ebay for a good price.

The 32MM(aftermarket one) comes with bushings and end links, but the rear one is just the sway bar.

I'm looking at purchasing end links and bushings for the rear one.

19MM bushings
    http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=3.5161

19MM endlinks
    http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...rod=MOOG-K5252

these look ok?

also any installation instructions or stuff I shud watch out for?

gracias every1
    1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
    1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
    1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Re: installing sway bars

You can also get bushings and endlinks at local parts stores like O'Reilly and Autozone if you don't want to buy online. For hard rubber, I'd go with the Moog brand parts. For poly, the Energy Suspension links you found are good. I'd suggest choosing either and sticking with it. I wouldn't mix poly and rubber parts.

As for an install guide, this should help:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=22

On another note, if you're still running on stock springs and shocks, you might want to hold off on installing the bigger rear bar. It's typically suggested to not upgrade the rear bar while still using stock spring rates.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

u da man!

Is it just not recommended on rear sway bars with stock springs or is there some negative side effects like ride quality and such?
      1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
      1996 Chevy Camaro Z28

Comment

Originally posted by truekoa View Post
        u da man!

Is it just not recommended on rear sway bars with stock springs or is there some negative side effects like ride quality and such?

They will not affect ride quality,your springs and shocks are in charge of that.

Like Pace said get the Moog stuff,tell them you have a WS6 or SS and you will get the good firmer bushings thats what I did.

Comment

A bigger-sized rear bar tends to cause excessive oversteer with stock spring rates. While this may not be immediately noticeable in dry weather and easy driving, it can be dangerous in wet weather and emergency situations. Look into getting some good aftermarket springs/shocks before upgrading that rear bar.

Fortunately, the front sway bar will not give such negative results with stock springs/shocks. It may cause a minimal amount of understeer, but the advantage of quicker response time and better control through the corners will override that.
          '99 Camaro
          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
            A bigger-sized rear bar tends to cause excessive oversteer with stock spring rates. While this may not be immediately noticeable in dry weather and easy driving, it can be dangerous in wet weather and emergency situations. Look into getting some good aftermarket springs/shocks before upgrading that rear bar.

Fortunately, the front sway bar will not give such negative results with stock springs/shocks. It may cause a minimal amount of understeer, but the advantage of quicker response time and better control through the corners will override that.
            If he was going with a 24mm or 25mm I would agree but a 2mm increase will hardly be noticeable.

I ran a 35/25 combo on my TA and drove it in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by transamtom1 View Post
              If he was going with a 24mm or 25mm I would agree but a 2mm increase will hardly be noticeable.

I ran a 35/25 combo on my TA and drove it in the winter.
              His '98 should have a 15mm stock rear bar. While 4mm may not seem like a huge difference, in combination with worn shocks that already have crappy valving and stock springs, it can cause quite a difference in how the car handles, especially in wet weather or an emergency swerve. Take a look through this thread to get a basic idea, or give Sam Strano a call if you want the long explanation about our cars' suspension and how it all works together.

Running a larger diameter rear bar on a V8 like your Trans Am is different than that on a V6 car. Your TA has different front spring rates, and if it is a 93-97 TA, even has different rear spring rates. Typically, the V8 cars can get away with running larger rear bars because of their geometry and weight distribution. A combo that may have worked with you and others, may not be the same for someone else. Personally, I wouldn't want to run a 22/25mm rear bar on a V8 with stock suspension.

I'm not saying he can't run that combo. Just saying that larger rear bars are typically not installed until the crappy shocks and some aftermarket springs are added.
              '99 Camaro
              '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
              '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

I'm running a 32 / 17 combo, 2" lowered on adj shocks and the handling is superb.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Bonemaro View Post
                  I'm running a 32 / 17 combo, 2" lowered on adj shocks and the handling is superb.
                  32/19 on the stock shocks and springs with 17x9.5rims W/Yoko's and I love it.

Comment

alright guys, i love it when i ask a question here i get a good side and a bad side which is exactly what I want.

I went ahead and ordered the bushings and end links, very inexpensive.
                    I'll thinking I'll install them to see how I like it, but I will def keep in mind about the rear bar.
                    Im getting new shocks/springs pretty soon so I'll be set.

gracias every1
                    1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                    1996 Chevy Camaro Z28

Comment

32 hollow front , 21mm solid rear stock height upgraded springs/shocks and suspension upgrade rides fine, I had a ST 35mm front and it was outstanding taking corners. Now with the 32mm its still good but I liked the 35mm better.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X