Adding subs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding subs

I posted this on yahoo and have not recieved any answers.. figured i d give it a try here! :)

I really want to put subs in my camaro. I have the 500w Monsoon system from the factory and it really hits pretty hard. I bought the car about 4 months ago and I went looking at the speakers about a month ago and I found that I had pioneer three-way coaxials in the front door panels and infinitys in the back hatch panels. Along with the side sail panel 6.5" subs. I've seen stealth boxes for the camaros that sit on the side on where the t-tops would go. But they run about $80 a piece. So is there anywhere else I could put them?

Also, I want to run a separate amp to the subs. I THINK that would be easier, but hell if i would know. I ve seen that the subs run off 2 ohms, and that 4 ohm subs wouldnt perform good. So would I be better off replacing the stock 6.5" subs with some kickers I found online or with a box holding some 12"s. I just want it to perform really well. and still be able to store my t-tops. haha.

So reiterating, would it be better/easier to replace my stock subs or to get new subs that i could put in a stealth box or where else would i even put them? Also, how would I add extra amps to the circuit? By the way, if it matters i have a aftermarket pioneer head unit with seperate controls for setting subs on or off and seems like it would matter to the situation.

Thanks!

Re: Adding subs

Stealth boxes are a good investment, I got a drivers side Subthump box with a Alpine 10" type X in it with a PPI 2300 am amp hooked up to it. Nice clean bass, Alpine type R is what I had before in it and it was good also for more bass. Just make sure the mounting depth of whatever box you buy has the correct depth for the sub.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Wow. Lots of work here.

First off, welcome to the board!:)

Second, don't even bother trying to replace the factory 6.5" subs with aftermarket 6.5" if you're looking for an increase in bass. The only time I recommend that is for someone that has blown the factory 6.5"s and just wants them to stop buzzing and/or work properly again. But if you're looking for more output, there's no replacement for a quality 10" and an amp.

Third, you must use an amp if you want to run an separate subwoofer.

How much bass are you looking to add? Just want to boom around town? A single 10" in the stealth box will be a large increase over what the Monsoon system gives. A pair of 12"s will be enough for serious bass heads. The right box, amp and subs would could blurred vision. I'm not kidding. The fact that you say the Monsoon system hits pretty hard makes me think you'd be ok with just the single 10" in the stealth box..... but it's your choice.:)

Subthump has been our go-to site for years. Although a couple of recent buyers have said to have issues with them having their items in stock and such. I'd call before ordering if I were you. Just so you don't end up waiting forever for your item and then just getting a refund a month later. But they have the stealth options or the larger dual 12" option boxes. Also, eBay has a lot of choices. A couple of the boxes on there are made by users of this board I do believe. You could always get matching driver and passenger side boxes to hold two 10"s. That would look clean.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAMAR...#ht_500wt_1610

As for recommendation on specific equipment, just let me know your thoughts thus far.

You'll need:
      Subwoofer(s)
      Box
      Amp
      Amp wiring kit including RCA cables
      Red 96' A4 Firebird
      Audio Audio and Autotek
      Check it out here!

Comment

what kind of amp would i need? would I need to match the max wattage of the sub for the best quality? and what kind of amp? mono or multichannel?
        Thanks for helping a new guy, glad i joined.

Comment

well i have 2 10'' kicker solerbaric with a 800w mono amp it will bass so hard it will blurr your vision

Comment

If you're just adding subwoofers, you'll want a single-channel (often called monoblock) amp. They offer the cheapest watt/dollar ratio and are all generally class-D, meaning they are efficient. Yes, you can connect more than one subwoofer to the amp even though it's one channel.

As for wattage output, first off, you'll need to make sure you're looking at the RMS output level. "Peak" or "Max" output numbers are useless crap numbers that manufacturer's stamp on their box to draw your attention or potentially mislead you into thinking their amp outputs more power than it really does. Secondly, some manufacturer's do just flat out lie. Stick with a quality brand name amplifier and you can rest easy knowing that amp will actually perform as advertised. There are A TON of companies out there, but I will give you some names to stay away from. (Dual, Legacy, Pyramid, Rockwood, Pyle, Jenson, Visionik, Boss, Nitro, Sound Storm, Volfenhag, Blitz, Farenheit) There are a couple larger companies out there that you may think are solid name brands, but actually in the world of car audio (more specifically, amplifiers) they're below average. (Sony, Pioneer) Lastly, yes, matching the power output to the wattage rating of the subwoofer will get you into a decent ballpark. But please remember that many other factors come into play when determining the ACTUAL power handling capability of your subwoofer. In addition, you don't have to be exact. If your sub is rated at 400 watts RMS and your amp outputs 500 watts RMS, it's plenty close enough. They're just ballpark figures.

Before I recommend any exact model numbers or products, what box design/subwoofer size have you settled on? How much money are you looking to spend total on sub(s), box(es), amp, wiring?
            Last edited by 96firebird311; 06-21-2009, 06:51 PM.
            Red 96' A4 Firebird
            Audio Audio and Autotek
            Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311 View Post
              Subthump has been our go-to site for years. Although a couple of recent buyers have said to have issues with them having their items in stock and such. I'd call before ordering if I were you. Just so you don't end up waiting forever for your item and then just getting a refund a month later. But they have the stealth options or the larger dual 12" option boxes. Also, eBay has a lot of choices. A couple of the boxes on there are made by users of this board I do believe. You could always get matching driver and passenger side boxes to hold two 10"s. That would look clean.
              I def agree. Purchasing my 10" stealth box from subthumb was a great investment. It fits perfect; I've actually had a few people ask me if I got it from the factory like that.

I have a 800 watt (400RMS) 10" Kicker and some 600 watt off-brand amp that a friend gave me for $25. I don't know where you store the t-tops (i have a hard top), but like 96firebird said, they make passenger side boxes too. I didn't want to drill holes into anything to secure my amp, so I just used 3 strips of the 3M velcro tape to secure it to the carpet right behind the rear seats, and it's stayed put (under hard turns and heavy acceleration).

Comment

I think i have settled on the stalth box from ebay I found. I really dont feel like shelling out $270 some dollars for a box that sits onver my t-tops. Although they do look well designeed. Just not right without a job. But after i buy the stealth box ill have to start putting money away again for a good sub and amp. I just need some sugessted combos that range from $200 to $500. or lower. haha

Comment

On my stealth box I put a metal strip peice that connects to the box and the car , so even when cornering it doesn't move a bit. Just for you T-top guys to do so no glass is ruined.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Hifonics BXi608
                    Alpine SWR-1022D
                    Knukonceptz 4 gauge amp kit w/RCAs
                    GM battery terminal
                    Red 96' A4 Firebird
                    Audio Audio and Autotek
                    Check it out here!

Comment

Wait.... one stealth box? Or two?
                      Red 96' A4 Firebird
                      Audio Audio and Autotek
                      Check it out here!

Comment

I wish I could do 2 , 1 is good for like great bass just for you inside the car and 2 would be good for having other people hearing it also.LOL Alpine Type R has nice clean bass for its price range.

Comment

i have one old cvr in a JL power wedge box, facing up towards my trunk, and a old kicker kx600.1 that beats the block down...i spent about $80 for everything at the flea market.
                          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X