amp to speaker wiring Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp to speaker wiring Q

i dont know if its been asked before but i could not find it in the search maybe its bc its so simple yet i cant figure it out (im new to this area). How do i wire a pair of components and a pair of full range speakers to an amp. I searched online and kept getting different answers from different websites. Does anyone have a diagram? this must be basic stuff for everyone so im sure someone here knows.I know how to wire the amp in im just confused on the speaker wiring. can i power full range off an amp? The speakers are polk db6501 and the db651.thanks
    this is the amp:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/HIFONICS-TXi6408...QQcmdZViewItem

Re: amp to speaker wiring Q

If the amp is the TXI 6408, its a 4 - channel amp, should be no problem. First of all, the component spreakers usually have thier own cross-over, so one set of component speakers, say left front (driver door), will use channel one of the amp, and set that amp channel to full range. So, plus and minus from the amp channel one, wire to the component cross-over, plus and minus; the crossover should have two outputs, high and mid range - connect high range to the smaller component speaker (the tweeter), and the mid range to the medium size speaker. These are most likely in the doors. Like wise, use amp channel 2 for right front (passenger door), and set that amp channel to full range. Then you should have two more amp channels available, use those for left and right rear (sail panels, back seat). You can then set all amp channels to full range however, depending on how the speakers respond, you may need tho turn on the high-pass filters, and adjust cross-over points. In any case, try to keep the polarity correct while wiring - plus to plus, minus to minus.

I hope this helps, and is not too confusing....Paul

Comment

thats how i thought they should be wired in but then i read other ppls (on other sites) responses and they say you should power the tweeter off the hu. Thanks that was the last thing i didnt understand when it came to wiring these in. My only other Q would be if theres a better amp anyone would recommend because the components rated at 100w RMS (continous) @ 4 ohms and the amp only puts out 85Wx4 channels@ 4 ohms. anything under 170 would be nice.

Comment

Your speakers are rated for UP TO 100w RMS, your amp is rated at 85w RMS, you should be fine, and sound good. You don't want to overdrive the speakers, they'll sound like crap and may blow them. Same is true the other way around, you don't want to underdrive them, same thing will happen.

Comment

alright thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by firebird19_99 View Post
            but then i read other ppls (on other sites) responses and they say you should power the tweeter off the hu.
            LOL!
            Red 96' A4 Firebird
            Audio Audio and Autotek
            Check it out here!

Comment

Once you have all the products in your hands, it will be obvious.
              Red 96' A4 Firebird
              Audio Audio and Autotek
              Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311 View Post
                LOL!
                you laugh but i found that same response on like 4 different sites.lol

Comment

First off, you should stop getting advice from those sources. Second, why would anyone do that? Is it their poor attempt at bi-amping? Or are they just retarded? I bet these are the same people that think they can convert their sealed box into a ported box by just sawing a hole in the side...

...you laugh, but I've seen it roll into my shop more times than I can count.
                  Red 96' A4 Firebird
                  Audio Audio and Autotek
                  Check it out here!

Comment

lol wow you must be like not these idiots again. I'll come here first when needing help. I just thought i'd do a search online before asking what i thought would be an over asked question but couldnt find it here so i looked online and when responses were mixed i posted here. So thanks for the help guys i think im set. Now i need a nice day and a day off work to do this or at least some hours.

Comment

I would listen to 96firebird311 he knows his stuff.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

people just get dumber and dumber, but like stated it should be obvious when they get to you if you dont already have them, my new speakers are on a ups truck right now, im excited to have sounds again after i blew my polks

Comment

yea 96firebird311 hasnt steered me wrong.Im the kind of buyer that likes to research before he buys so he knows what hes getting is quality. So thanks 96firebird311 for the input. i guess it will be obvious once i have them. Im excited to do this :):)

Comment

what they might have been talking about, is if you amp your speakers, and then have seperate tweeters, to wire those to the head unit, thats how i did mine when i ordered a pair of tweeters to sit on my pillars

Comment

are you talking about wiring them without the crossovers. i think thats what they were talking about.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X