Switching Alpine subs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching Alpine subs

So I decided to switch my subs in my subthump box , from 10" Alpine Type R to the 10" type X to see if it will put out more bass, its a DVC 4 ohm ,so it will get about 350 RMS per coil , seemed like the Type R was getting to much power. So will see how this one sounds, suppose to be 1 step above the R at total 3000 watts. So will see, the type R can go into my wifes vehicle. I got a good deal on the sub so I couldn't pass it up.
    Last edited by ssms5411; 04-10-2009, 09:29 PM.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Re: Switching Alpine subs

I got the Alpine SWX-1043D dual 4oms installed , holy sh!t this thing is loud deep clean bass. This is in a Subthump box on the drivers side .65cuft box. I have a PPI 2300am amp(17 years old) that has been modified to about 350 RMS x 2 in 4ohms and 700 RMS X 2 in 2ohm mode so I have it at 4ohms right now so 350RMS to each voice coil and it seems to like it. The type R was was like 20lbs and the Type X is 33LBS and was about abit taller, had to use a 1/4" spacer that came with the sub so that was nice. My wife was amazed when I was bass'n out in the garage, it sounds like 2 12" subs in there.LOL I still have a Boston Acustic GT42 4 channel amp to hook my highs 4 tweeters(2 Kicker titaiums, 2 kappa's), 2 3 way 6 1/2" Kappa's speakers and 2 kicker 3 way 6 X 9's. So it should power them very well and it has built in crossovers so I can adjust it alot better. My 15 year old 4 channel PPI amp is out.LOL
    Last edited by ssms5411; 04-17-2009, 02:13 AM.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

nice...I got an mtx in mine with an audison amp feeding it with all of 300 watts lol...suprising what it actually hits with none the less...I remember loooking at the Type X awhile ago...I just didnt think it would get enough air in the subthump box...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

It likes the box fine, I think it likes the power going to it too.LOL I can set it at 2 ohms and feed each coil 700 RMS but I think I'm going to leave it for now. I'm going to work on wiring up the mids and highs this next week to the GT42.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
          I can set it at 2 ohms and feed each coil 700 RMS but I think I'm going to leave it for now.
          And just how would you go about that?
          Red 96' A4 Firebird
          Audio Audio and Autotek
          Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311 View Post
            And just how would you go about that?
            The sub itself has like little cilps like things the you put in for each side(there are actually 3 spots setup on it where the spreaker wires go, one side is pos. and the other is side neg. wires) So I think the clips would link both pos. wires together and both neg. wires together for a 2ohm. load, middle one is I I think is for a 8ohm load, instrustions say it converts it down to a 2ohm load, but their getting enough all ready so I wouldn't use. It's loud enough for me right now but I thought about maybe getting another one for the pass. side with a stealth box, it would be louder than my 12" Kicker Solo Barics I had in there before probably with the 2- X series 10's. Now I just need to hook up my highs and mids to the GT42 amp and I'll be done.
            Last edited by ssms5411; 04-17-2009, 05:48 PM.

Comment

I'm aware of how the Type-X is laid out.

You would be wiring the coils together in parallel for a 2 ohm load. So you would not be giving each coil 700WRMS. You would be giving the pair of coils 700WRMS, or 350WRMS each. In other words, exactly the same as what you say you're giving them now.

And if you want to be exact, this would actually be the preferred method of hooking up your subwoofer. Each coil would be receiving the EXACT same signal. Rather than powering each coil by it's own separate channel on the amp. Which may send slightly different signals to each coil, thereby causing them to actually fight each other. (Slight power output differences, crossover differences, etc) We're talking slight differences here, but difference none the less. Imagine a completely separate amp on each coil! Gain cranked on one and set to min on the other. Catch my drift?
              Last edited by 96firebird311; 04-17-2009, 07:13 PM.
              Red 96' A4 Firebird
              Audio Audio and Autotek
              Check it out here!

Comment

It is wired up to one amp though so each channel is putting out the same amount to the sub, but I see your point , so you think I should use the clips in there? I was afraid of over powering it like I did the type R. I haven't been into car stereos since 1992-96' when I got the PPI amps and Kicker Solobarics, all the old school stuff. Until I got the Kicker Titaiums 1" tweeters for up front and Kicker 3 way 6 X 9's in the sail panels with 3/4" infinity tweeters and 3 way 6 1/2" Kappa front door speakers, the GT42 amp I think will power them well, better than my little PPI 4 channel amp thats just 4x100 RMS max and the GT42 is rated at 900 RMS max and has built in crossovers for front and rear setup.That type X sub is a beast though, well worth the $205 shipped.

Comment

Good deal on the sub. And if it's working great how it is, just leave it. Don't fix whats not broken..... before you break it.
                  Red 96' A4 Firebird
                  Audio Audio and Autotek
                  Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311 View Post
                    Good deal on the sub. And if it's working great how it is, just leave it. Don't fix whats not broken..... before you break it.
                    Will do,LOL I didn't want to try and pull that 33LB b@stard out of the box.LOL thanks for your help.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Little work today
                      by ssms5411
                      Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                      by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                      Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                      By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                      Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                      02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X